Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kenmore washer 1) won't spin 2) always fills to highest water level

I've got a stackable Kenmore washer/dryer. The dryer works great but the washer is acting strange.

1) After rinsing the tub will drain but the spin cycle doesn't start. I do hear an electrical "bzzzt" at the motor at this time.

2) No matter what water level I select (low/med/high) it will always fill to the highest level.

Any ideas what thing or things could be causing these problems?
    Last edited by catamount; 02-17-2009, 10:20 AM.

Model number needed

Originally posted by catamount

I've got a stackable Kenmore washer/dryer.
    I'm afraid that is not enough information to identify the appliance in question. What is needed is its exact model number. If you post it we can look it up to see what appliance design you're dealing with.

LINK > Please include Make and Model # in post

After rinsing the tub will drain but the spin cycle doesn't start. I do hear an electrical "bzzzt" at the motor at this time.
    But the washer motor is definitely NOT running?

Does the timer continue through the cycle to the end as if the washer was working or stick at that point and never move on?

No matter what water level I select (low/med/high) it will always fill to the highest level.
    But it never overflows?

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Thanks, I will look for the model number again this evening. I looked on the front/inside yesterday but couldn't find anything. I'll have to check the top/sides.

Originally posted by Dan O. View Post

But the washer motor is definitely NOT running?
      Right -- I opened the bottom panel and nothing is spinning during the spin cycle.

Does the timer continue through the cycle to the end as if the washer was working or stick at that point and never move on?
      It continues but it does take a long time. The pump comes on several times in fact. It goes like this pump... long delay ... long delay ... pump ... long delay ... and so on for quite a while before coming to the end of that spin cycle.

But it never overflows?
      Right, it does not overflow. It just doesn't seem to care what size load you select.

Comment

I will look for the model number again this evening.
        Let us know when you have it so we can look up which manufacturer's washer design it is and which components it uses that might be suspect.

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Let us know when you have it so we can look up which manufacturer's washer design it is and which components it uses that might be suspect.
          Well I had no luck finding any identifying numbers. The washer/dryer is jammed into a closet so I could not get to the back of it but there was nothing on top, the sides, the front or inside the dryer door. I found the wiring diagram under the access panel but that doesn't tell me much about the model.

Ugh, I guess I just have to call the repairman and spend some $$!

Comment

I had no luck finding any identifying numbers. The washer/dryer is jammed into a closet so I could not get to the back of it
            The identification tag definitely shouldn't be on the back. Unfortunately without knowing which washer manufacturer's design you're dealing with it is difficult to suggest possibilities.

For the overfilling, I can't think of anything besides a problem with the water level control switch if once full, the washer does start to agitate indicating that the control switch was satisfied with the water level. Yours is an unusual symptom for such a failure but not outside the realm of possibility. More often a failure of that swtich causes overflowing and/or preventing the timer from advancing from fill to wash/agitate.

LINK > How does a washer's water level control work?

Let us know how you eventually make out.

Dan O.
            www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Look under the washer lid too

Well I had no luck finding any identifying numbers. There was nothing on top, the sides, the front or inside the dryer door.
              There is one more place I see now that is not mentioned at the model number guide I directed you to.

If you haven't yet, look under the lid of the washer around the edge of tub opening. The tag can sometimes be almost under the lid hinge, obscuring it from plain view.

JMO

Dan O.
              www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

May not be the same thing but we have one of those stackable washer dryer combos. One day it started acting up.. it would fill with water but that's it. I don't remember what the motor sounded like but there is a plastic part between the motor and the drive shaft of the washer. It is designed to break after the warranty expires. The part was 10 dollars and the repair man charged like 50. Know you may think I'm not paying someone to do something I could, which is true I probably could have. Let me say this it took him about 20 min., it would have taken me all day. If you want I can take a photo of the part for you.

Edit: I took the photo of the part notice the image of the part on the right is broken. The motor shaft fits in one side a drive shaft in the other. Ours is a Whirlpool but maybe if you look inside the door of the dryer there maybe a model number.

Last edited by zone23; 02-18-2009, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zone23

there is a plastic part between the motor and the drive shaft of the washer. It is designed to break
                  That would be the drive coupling.

LINK > Direct Drive Washer Motor Coupler

When it does break it would affect both spin and agitation, while not affecting the drain. The OP only mentioned not spinning as a symptom. If their's is still agitating, the drive coupler is unlikely to be the cause (if even used on their model).

JFYI

Dan O.
                  www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Thanks for your help guys. I've looked high and low and I cannot find a tag anywhere. Purchased this unit used so maybe the previous owners took it off. Ugh! I'm guessing the repair will be $200+ so I'm considering just getting another used unit.

Comment

If the motor is shot, will the washer still agitate? Does the motor not also produce the agitation or is it only responsible for the spin?

Comment

Try this link: Fixitnow.com Samurai Appliance Repair Man Blog Archive Frigidaire-built Kenmore Front-Loading Washer Won’t Spin

If you post anything on that site, make sure you use proper English, punctuation, & spelling, or he'll slam you. The site's a hoot, though, with a lot of good information. I was able to repair my dishwasher with info from there.

Comment

Wrong appliance type?

Originally posted by adnadeau
                          Try this link: ...Frigidaire-built Kenmore Front-Loading Washer...
                          Usually when a layman says 'stackable washer/dryer' they are referring to a "laundry center" (see icon below) and not a front loading washer like referred to in your link.

It doesn't make a lot of sense to me to call it that because if something was "stack-able" it should be UN-stackable as well which is not the case with a laundry center appliance.

JMO

Dan O.
                          www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

If the motor is shot, will the washer still agitate?
                            That will depend on the design of the washer and whom made it.

On Whirlpool 'direct drive' washer models if the motor ever works it should be capable of always working and would not be defective. On Frigidaire built top-load models the same motor has multiple internal direction windings. On it, it would be possible for the spin functions of such a motor to fail while not affecting the agitate functions of it.

JFYI

Dan O.
                            www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~
                            Last edited by Dan O.; 02-20-2009, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Wiring diagram

I pulled the washer/dryer out, looked EVERYWHERE with a fine tooth comb and there is no tag to be found anywhere. I did scan in the wiring diagram in hopes that it may help? It is attached.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              =