Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dishwasher Cycle Seems Never to End

I have had (and been happy with) our KitchenAid KUDI01L dishwasher for several years. Recently we moved and have kept the old house for a rental. Renters now report that the dishwasher wash cycle seems never to end (at least not after 2 hours). This is the Normal cycle - not scrub or anything out of the ordinary.

Yesterday I tried the unit and found that after two hours of running (I could hear the regular noises of washing) I finally hit the cancel button to end the cycle and start draining.

Any ideas what could be wrong that causes this behavior? Thanks.

Originally posted by whitedavidp

KitchenAid KUDI01L dishwasher
    That model number is incomplete.

the dishwasher wash cycle seems never to end (at least not after 2 hours). after two hours of running (I could hear the regular noises of washing) I finally hit the cancel button to end the cycle and start draining.

This is the Normal cycle - not scrub or anything out of the ordinary. Any ideas what could be wrong that causes this behaviour?
    Some cycles may have a water temperature monitoring function. If the water was too cold entering the machine initially or the unit's heater was not functioning, long 'thermal delays' could occur during such a cycle.

JFYI

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Thanks for the response Dan. You are correct - here is the complete model# KUDI01LWH2. I did read in the manual that water temperature could impact the cycle time. I am not sure what could impact that. It did seem like it was hot and steamy inside the dishwasher when I opened it after canceling the cycle. Any tips on how to determine if this is the problem? I did have an extended warranty on this but it expired last summer. Figures!

Comment

Originally posted by whitedavidp

here is the complete model# KUDI01LWH2.
        Not quite, it's still missing something: KUDI01__LWH2

I did read in the manual that water temperature could impact the cycle time. I am not sure what could impact that.
        Some possibilities might include not running the hot tap at the sink before starting the dishwasher, water heater temperature set low or malfunctioning. The *starting* (aka 'incoming') water to the dishwasher should be between 120-140°F.

The dishwasher might also not be heating the water or its sensor not detecting the water temperature.

It did seem like it was hot and steamy inside the dishwasher when I opened it after cancelling the cycle. Any tips on how to determine if this is the problem?
        Actually testing the water's temperature rather than relying on antidotal evidence might help to dissuade that as a possibility.

Depending on exactly where in the cycle the unit is 'stalling' there could be other functions the machine is waiting for. Someone would need to check the machine's 'tech sheet' and compare that timing to what should be occurring at that point in the cycle to see what else might cause it.

JMO

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Just an update on all this. I understood that my dishwasher has a sensor that supposedly monitors the water temperature and extends the wash cycle if the temp is too low (not sure how low that is). I checked the water temp and found it is just shy of 125 on my instant-read thermometer. So that didn't seem the likely problem. So once again I tried to run a load and I just let it go. It ran for slightly over 3 hours but the cycle did eventually stop on its own. I find this a VERY long cycle. But the system does at least terminate the cycle at some point. Not sure if this helps ID the culprit though. Thanks

Comment

I checked the water temp and found it is just shy of 125 on my instant-read thermometer. So that didn't seem the likely problem.
            That would depend on what setting the dishwasher was on. Some settings could delay to heat the water further or the sensor may not be detecting and relaying the correct temperature to the control.

Not sure if this helps ID the culprit though.
            I'm afraid it doesn't.

BTW. We're still awaiting the posting of the complete model number of the dishwasher.

Dan O.
            www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Dan O. View Post
              T
              BTW. We're still awaiting the posting of the complete model number of the dishwasher.

Jeeze, I thought I did that already, Dan. But you are correct. Here is the COMPLETE model# KUDI01ILWH2. Thanks for your responses.

Comment

If the additional delay is being added at the point(s) in the cycle where water heating could take place, there could be a problem with the thermistor (see the following link) which relates the water temperature to the control, a problem with the unit heating or a problem with the control.

LINK > KitchenAid KUDI01ILWH2 Thermistor

Can you determine if the heater element ever operates?

Dan O.
                www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Dan O.
                  Can you determine if the heater element ever operates?
                  Thanks Dan for your responses. I suppose it could be the thermistor but I am not sure where it lives or how to test it. When you ask about the heater element, do you mean the big one inside under the spray arms? It sounds as if there is an on-board water heater too so it would have an element, I suppose. In any case, I have not checked and would not be sure how to do so. Please advise and thanks!
                  Last edited by Dan O.; 04-24-2009, 09:42 PM. Reason: quote formatting

Comment

do you have any test equipment? like an analog meter or a clamp around ammeter?

Comment

When you ask about the heater element, do you mean the big one inside under the spray arm?
                      Yes.

Dan O.
                      www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Just a final update. Finally had a repairman come out. He rapidly discovered that the heating element was bad and replaced it. I always thought that was for drying the dishes. What a surprise! Anyhow, all is well again. Thanks to all.

Comment

Fixed

discovered that the heating element was bad and replaced it.
                          LINK > KitchenAid KUDI01ILWH2 Heater Element

Glad to hear the problem was found. Thanks for the follow up.

Dan O.
                          www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~
                          Last edited by Dan O.; 07-01-2009, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          =