Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roof Edge / Gutter leaks

I noticed today that i several locations around the house, the runoff water from the roof only makes it to the edge of the composite roofing material and instead of dropping into the gutter, it wicks around the roof edge and then runs down between the gutter ad the facia board as shown in the attached picture. I have thought of installing a metal flashing under the edge of the roofing but wonder if the water would just wick around it?? Any suggestions or ideas on how to correct this problem would be greatly appreciated.

You need to add dripedge to your roof. It's available at all big box stores in the roofing section. It is simply bent aluminum or galvanized metal that is normally nailed down to your roof right before shingling starts. For your needs simply slightly lift up the first row of shingles leading edge near the gutter and slide in the dripedge between the shingles and the roofing felt, you will need to nail it down with roofing nails but 3 or so on each 10' section would do fine. run a few dobs of roofing asphalt (in the tube) and press down your shingles. The dripedge bottom flange should be inside your gutter, this means that if the water tries to wick back around it will still drip into the gutter.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Hi i just installed some ,does it ever rust..i know its galvanized but just asking.=Wwill it help to prime/paint it also?

Comment

If it's galvanized then you need not worry about rust, if you paint it you set yourself up for forever painting it to keep it looking nice. Your other choice is to use aluminum drip edge finished in a color, white and brown are the easiest to find but there are many other colors available.
        Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
        Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =