Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 220v conduit requirements

I am in the process of hooking up a new stove using 6/3 wire on a 50 amp breaker, my question is, does the wire need to be in conduit from box to outlet, or can it be exposed in the attic?

Thanks

first of all any new 240 volt appliances need a four wire pigtail and receptacle. the bond between the center [white] terminal and earth ground needs to be broken. going to the center [white] needs ONLY the white wire, the green equipment ground goes to the metal enclosure [frame] NOW in answering your original question, in your jurisdiction is romex allowed to be installed exposed or does the wiring have to go in conduit? check with your building department and/or electrical inspector for the answer.

Comment

I hope I will suggest you correct. You use the same wires for straight 240V, the wires being black, white, and green. The only difference is that the white wire now carries 120V. No neutral is required for 240V circuits.

Comment

Kaitlin here in the U.S. we have an electrical code to go by. Merely using a three wire because "it works isn't the case. Read what I posted. New appliances use a four wire pigtail and receptacle.

Comment

Thanks Hayzee for the info, got it up and running last night.

coffeeguy

Comment

Any household appliance that is 120/240v for quite a few years has required a 3-wire with a dedicated ground feed or circuit. If it is cord connected it must use a 4-wire cord.

If the appliance is straight 240v, like some cook tops or European dryers, then just two hots and a ground are required and a 3-wire cord. This is NOT the same cord as an older dryer cord. Old dryer and range cords were 120/240v with no separate ground.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =