Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha Natural Sound Stereo Receiver RX-750

I have a Yamaha Natural Sound Stereo Receiver RX-750 (purchased maybe around 1992-1993?). The input selector switch doesn't seem to be working properly. No matter which input I select, the sound is fuzzy and static-y. If I jiggle the knob or press and hold it in tightly, the sound will clear up, but often goes right back to fuzzy as soon as I remove my fingers. I have to keep playing with the knob until I finally get clear sound.

It has been suggested that I repair this using a contact cleaner. I successfully removed the cover from the stereo and the knob from the front. However, with those removed, I am in unfamiliar territory. Where do I squirt the contact cleaner? I am assuming it would be on the front side of the panel where the knob was removed, not on the back side inside the box. However, looking inside the hole where I took the knob off, I'm not sure where to start squirting. Should I just set the stereo up on end and squirt all over the stem? What is the proper technique for applying the cleaner? Here are photos:

If that is not the right approach, can this be repaired on a unit so old? Is this unit worth repairing? (It was quite expensive when I bought it.) Can I repair it myself if I get parts? How difficult? Inside and out, the unit looks immaculate.

Thanks so much!
    Carol

take the metal plate off in your 3rd or 4th photo and look at the wafer switch that goes through the front panel. there is a center wiper and several contacts around a brown phenolic insulator. spray the cleaner on these contacts and rotate the wiper quickly back and forth. the cleaner will evaporate leaving a shiny surface for the wiper to travel on.

Comment

Cleaning the control may work ok, however Yamaha issued a replacement function selector switch with gold plated contacts to eliminate this problem. The new switches work great.

Comment

Thanks! I still have not repaired this receiver. Is this part easy to install? Can you give me any tips?

Comment

You need to be able to disassemble the receiver to get the circuit board which the switch is soldered to out of the receiver, then unsolder the old switch, and solder in the new one. There are a lot of connections to unsolder, not so easy. We are a Yamaha authorized service center, have done a lot of these. We are Approved Audio Service in CT.

Comment

Would you be able to recommend a good service center in the Jacksonville, Florida area?

Comment

I don't know of any. We get stuff shipped in to us from all over the US.

Comment

Larry, how good are you guys at repairing amplifiers? I got a mosfet karaoke amplifier that chit the bed. I sent it back to the company as it was in warranty and supposedly they repaired it. Upon receiving it, they changed the mosfet but I still get one channel - I need two!

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
                  Larry, how good are you guys at repairing amplifiers? I got a mosfet karaoke amplifier that chit the bed. I sent it back to the company as it was in warranty and supposedly they repaired it. Upon receiving it, they changed the mosfet but I still get one channel - I need two!
                  that's our business. what brand is it?

Comment

Hi, I have a Yamaha rx 750, and the input select knob is not working properly.

However, I live in Brazil. Is their anyway you can ship this item to Brazil? I can pay with paypal, etc., including shipping fees. Shipping usually takes about 2 weeks, and I will assume all import duty responsabilities.

Comment

For friggs sake my connector went too!

Originally posted by Mauricio View Post
                      We are Approved Audio Service in CT.
                      I got the same problem this guy has except my right speaker wont play anything!, i hit pure direct and both channels play fine but then i switch it off and the right speaker goes out again. I aslo sprayed and flooded the switch with CRC fluid and the crackling went away but the right channnel still wont work. Where can i buy the replacement switch and get directions for installing it? I also saw someone write that it has a gold connector for improved performance? Im also in Connecticut what is your business called?

Thanks,
                      Dave

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      =