Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whirlpool dryer long dry time - venting?

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whirlpool dryer long dry time - venting?

We have a Whirlpool model# LER4634JQ1 electric dryer. A friend had moved into a new house, and they did not need this dryer. So we took it off their hands.

Over the last year, the drying time for a normal load has taken longer and longer. Now, it takes a good 1 & 1/2 to 2 hours to dry a load. My first thought is that the venting is clogged somewhere. So I will probably have maintenance come out and snake the vent. There was not any obvious obstruction in the venting in the dryer or in the vent tube going to the wall. So I am hoping the issue is with the venting of the building.
    We live in an apartment on the 1st floor of a 3 floor apartment building.

I wanted to see what was going on with the dryer inside, though. So I took off the rear panel, and started a load to make sure the heating element was working. It fired up without a problem. I ran the dryer for about 10 minutes, watching what the coils were doing. They cycled on and off quite a bit. They'd maybe be on for a minute, then off for a minute. Is this normal to control the temperature, or could the thermostat have an issue and be turning the heating element off prematurely?

I will probably run a load with the vent tubing detached from the dryer, so I can see if the issue is in fact with the venting.

Thanks for your time.

You didn't say anything about a lint screen. Clean that screen so it can move air through it. You should be able access that screen without moving the dryer. Make sure the fan that moves the air is turning ok.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =