Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bathtub resurface?

Hi. I'm in the middle of a bathroom remodel, and I'm about to tear out the old cast iron tub, but I'm considering having it refinished instead of replacing it... I've called a few refinishing companies and they charge about $300 - $450 to refinish the tub, but they don't want to do it until after all the other remodeling is done (to ensure the finish isn't damaged).

The tub is in good shape (it's 70 years old, but has no chips or stains, it just looks old and the porcelain is kinda dull). It's not a particularly 'interesting' tub, and if I replaced it I would get a plain white cast iron tub.

My concern is that a refinished tub isn't going to be as durable as I would like, and I'm also concerned about having the installers refinish the tub after all the work is completed (drywall, tile, paint, etc.)... apparently they clean the tub with acid first, and then mask and spray the new finish... I don't want the tub to look out of place in a new bathroom...

Anyone had any experiences with refinishing that they'd like to share? Any recommendations?

Thanks, Daniel.

I've had clients insist on keeping older tubs and opting for the Refinish of the tub. A good refinish company will do a pretty good job on making the tub look as new as possible, usually they use a two part epoxy paint as the finish overall I rate the finish as a 6 out of 10 (looks and durability).
    I have done a couple of bathrooms with original claw foot tubs and in this case the age and style of the tub always makes me opt for the refinish for obvious reasons, including the cost of new old claw tubs.

Now for my own personal bathrooms.... I'd never have a standard tub refinished, a new tub won't cost as much as refinishing the old. Most of the time the reasons behind refinishing a tub is mainly because the tile is staying put as well, so it's also a practicality.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

The company I work for does tub refinishing. It will never be as durable as the original. That's why the company insists on making it the last step in the remodel process. It would almost certainly be scratched otherwise. I'm sure there are companies that do better jobs than my guys, but I really don't like the way it looks or feels. If you're not attached to this particular tub, I'd replace it.

Comment

If you are going to the trouble of tearing out the walls down to the studs I would go ahead and replace the tub with a new one. Go to a plumbing store and not a big box store, the tub will cost more but the quality will be much better.

Comment

Originally posted by jnaas2 View Post
          If you are going to the trouble of tearing out the walls down to the studs I would go ahead and replace the tub with a new one. Go to a plumbing store and not a big box store, the tub will cost more but the quality will be much better.
          I'll agree whole heartedly with this post!
          I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
          Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
          Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
          Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

What about a tub that someone tried to paint. How do I remove old paint?

I'm an old lady and can't figure out how to start a question or thread. Would someone take pity on me and tell me how it's done? It would seem to be the first question in FAQ. I couldn't find it. Some things aren't as easy as it seems to you mental giants.

Comment

There's mental giants in here? Where? Lemme get my gun.

At the top and bottom of each forum (such as "plumbing", "appliance repair" and "painting" will be a dark brown "Post new thread" link you can click on. It's the same size, shape and colour as the "Reply to Thread" links at the top and bottom of each thread.

So, in the "Forums" main page, just click on the forum you want to post your question in, and then click on either one of those "Post New Thread" links.

How to remove it depends on what kind of tub you have and what kind of paint is on it. If it's a latex or oil based paint, and you have an enameled steel or cast iron tub, I'd use a paint stripper to remove the paint. If it's epoxy paint instead, then I'm thinking the only reasonable option is to learn to love that existing paint, or have the tub refinished and tell the guy to sand off that old paint when prepping the tub for refinishing. If it's an acrylic tub, then paint stripper will wreck the tub. I don't know if fiberglass tubs would be damaged by paint stripper.

Clean that paint in an inconspicuous spot with a paper towel damped with nail polish remover. See if any of the paint colour transfers to the paper towel.
              Last edited by Nestor; 04-24-2012, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =