Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whirlpool washer wont spin

i have a whirlpool washer model #wtw57esvw. It wont spin so i change the motor coupling and it began to work.i tried washing a load of clothes but began to smell something burning and the washer completely stopped from washing or draining. It will fill with water and thats that. Please help.

whirlpool washer won't spin so i change the motor coupling
    The motor coupler would usually only be the problem if both spin AND agitation failed. It would affect both.

...but began to smell something burning and the washer completely stopped from washing or draining.
    ... and spinning I assume?

If so, all those functions are the responsibility of the main washer motor. The burning smell might be coming from it or even any electrical part (timer, wiring, etc.) in its circuit. Tracing the actual origin of the odor will likely be required to determine which.

JMO

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

How do i check the wiring

Comment

Originally posted by bush mechanic
        How do i check the wiring
        Have you isolated the origin of the odor yet?

The wiring can be inspected for visible signs of discoloration, burning or melting. Areas of particular interest would be any connectors in it.

JMO

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

if you have a basic diagram of the motor terminations you can make a test jumper. I made one up for a maytag washer motor. two wires are neutral two wires are 120 hot. one set goes to the startwinding the other the run winding. the two windings are electrically isolated from each other. some may share a common neutral. this is why I say look at the motor wiring diagram.

Comment

I just went back to the washer plugged it in and it filled with water and started to wash but it wont dispense the water out of the machine and i began to smell the burning so i turned it off and unplugged it. This is strange because it only filled with water now it washed but didn't let the water out. so that means the motor is working have to check the wiring but i dont have any meter.
            Last edited by bush mechanic; 04-05-2009, 09:23 AM.

Comment

I just was looking at the washer and tried to move the agitator by hand but it is very hard to move is this normal.

Comment

I tried to move the agitator by hand but it is very hard to move. is this normal?
                Yes, the very bottom of it anyway. It is attached to the gearing inside the transmission.

JMO

Dan O.

Comment

I made another check of the washer and i noticed that the motor looked as if it was overheating because i saw some plastic looked like it melted on the coil so that is the cause of the burning odor.there were no other wires showing burns. Why did the washer fill and wash but stopped when it was time to dispense the water before the rinse cycle. Could the lid switch be the cause of the motor heating up?

Comment

Could the lid switch be the cause of the motor heating up?
                    No.

Why did the washer fill and wash but stop when it was time to [drain] the water
                    Maybe that just happens to be when the motor decided to fail?

Was the washer trying to spin at the same time as it was draining? That might do it too. On your model the washer should drain for 1-2 minutes before pausing briefly and only then attempt to spin.

Will the washer agitate any longer? If the motor is shot, it shouldn't.

LINK > Whirlpool WTW57ESVW0 Washer Motor

Dan O.
                    www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~
                    Last edited by Dan O.; 04-07-2009, 12:33 PM.

Comment

So if the motor is bad why did it wash but it stopped before dispensing the water before the rinse cycle? Could it be that something is not activating which is causing the motor to overheat. The burning scent can only be smelled after a few minutes when the washer pauses to dispense the water after washing to go to the rinse cycle but the water does not drain.

Comment

So if the motor is bad why did it wash but it stopped before dispensing the water before the rinse cycle?
                        By "dispense" I assume you mean drain rather than fill?? (either could be considered dispensing)

Parts can fail at any time. They could fail before, during or after any function it performed.

The burning scent can only be smelled after a few minutes when the washer pauses to [drain] the water after washing
                        Powering a motor which can't turn will eventually cause it to overheat. The same motor is used for agitate and spin, just turning in opposite directions. If it can turn in one direction it should be able to turn in the other as well although there might be some freak problem like something caught in the pump preventing rotation but only in the drain direction.

Could it be that something is not activating which is causing the motor to overheat.
                        The switching mechanism on the motor could prevent power from getting to one of the motor's windings causing it to overheat. (Two windings need to be powered to start and then run the motor.) A problem in the wiring to the motor or its connectors could cause the same thing as could possibly a problem in the timer.

JMO

Dan O.
                        www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

When i say dispense i mean drain sorry for the confusion.

Comment

I didn't get it fixed so i guess i would have to buy a new one. I appreciate all the assistance i got. Thanks guys!

Comment

I didn't get it fixed so i guess i would have to buy a new one.
                              Or call in someone to try to determine the cause for you. Sorry it doesn't appear to be a simple problem we can easily point to the cause of.

JMO

Dan O.
                              www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              =