Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble With Electric Hot Water Heater

Hot sure to place this in Appliances, Plumbing, or Electrical (or somewhere else). So here goes. Pardon any duplication or confusion...

Have had my electric hot water heater now for several years. Of recent I have noticed that while there is hot water, there isn't alot and it isn't that hot.

I believe this started after I turned off the water to our house while we were away for an extended period. Before I did this I turned-off the circuit breakers to the water heater as I was sure having it on might cause problems. I did not drain the tank but I did leave all the faucets on it the house. When we returned, I turned on the water, closed all the faucets, and reapplied power to the heater (in that order).

This is a typical 60 gallon heater with 2 elements. I am assuming that one element is shot. But how to test this theory? Also could it have been caused by my turning off water to the house?

Thanks.

Sounds like the period of time that you was away and heating system was dorment the non activity has killed one of the elements therefore making it not function correctly which is why you have only warm water. its just wear and tear happens to everyone

cant post urls so just search "replace bad water heater element" on google and look at the 2nd wetheadmedia link

hopefully helps

Comment

If you have a ohm meter disconnect the lines to the element and take the 2 probes and check the ohm reading across the element it should be around 12-18 if its less the elememt is probably bad

Comment

Working...
      X
      =