Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble With Electric Hot Water Heater

Hot sure to place this in Appliances, Plumbing, or Electrical (or somewhere else). So here goes. Pardon any duplication or confusion...

Have had my electric hot water heater now for several years. Of recent I have noticed that while there is hot water, there isn't alot and it isn't that hot.

I believe this started after I turned off the water to our house while we were away for an extended period. Before I did this I turned-off the circuit breakers to the water heater as I was sure having it on might cause problems. I did not drain the tank but I did leave all the faucets on it the house. When we returned, I turned on the water, closed all the faucets, and reapplied power to the heater (in that order).

This is a typical 60 gallon heater with 2 elements. I am assuming that one element is shot. But how to test this theory? Also could it have been caused by my turning off water to the house?

Thanks.

What brand water heater do you have. To check the elements in the water heater turn off the power and remove the covers, and disconnect the wires from the elements and check the resistance on the elements. Most have 12 - 18 ohms resistance and are considered good. Not knowing what brand you have I cant say for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by whitedavidp
      60 gallon heater with 2 elements. I am assuming that one element is shot. But how to test this theory?
      Isolate and test the element(s).

LINK > How do I test for continuity?

could it have been caused by my turning off water to the house?
      I doubt a water heater would be negatively affected in any way by that.

JMO

Dan O.
      www.Appliance411.com
      The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~
      Last edited by Dan O.; 04-03-2009, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Updates

Thanks to all who have responded. Your ideas have been quite helpful. I managed to get my ohm meter working and have performed the electrical checks. I fully expected that one of the elements would be bad even though this is a fairly new water heater (2-3 years). But both elements have conductivity and neither indicate continuity to ground. I did note, however, that the upper thermostat was set on the marked line at 125 degrees but the lower one was set lower at maybe 95 degrees. I did not do this myself so maybe it came that way from the factory. Or maybe a renter did this and never told me. Is this a correct way to set these things? I turned the lower element up to 125 on the marked line. I know that this is how the heater is set in our other home.

If the temperature setting is not the real issue, then it seems like the dip tube or the thermostats are the next thing to check out. How likely are these to be an issue with such a new AO Smith unit?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
        X
        =