Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• installing blinds on cement window casements

I'm installing light blocking blinds in my basement and apparently my window casements are made of Kryptonite.

The nails only go in about 1/4" and bend. I've tried drilling and I can't put a dent in what I think is cement. I can't use a cement drill because the holed will be too big for the small screws that fit through the brackets. I can't use liquid nails to attach wooden bases to drill into because then the blinds won't fit. I have been putting this off for a week and my spouse is approaching Bruce Banner levels of consternation. And I'm on a stupid 2,000 calorie diet and it's making me cranky.

Thanks for any suggestions
    Last edited by craniac; 04-04-2009, 01:08 PM. Reason: updated notification options

unfortunately there isn't too much available for concrete fasteners in small gauge. what you can do however is drill with a masonary drill of a 1/8" diameter to a depth of about 1 1/2 inches deep, slip in a piece of iron wire and use a sheet metal screw - say a number 10 or an 8 and screw it in. the wire will form threads on it and the wire wedges itself in the hole. TAPCONs are the next step.

Comment

Or drill a small 1/8" hole with a masonry drill bit and fill the hole with match sticks without the head naturally, tap these in with a hammer sort of wedging them in, then you have something to screw into as well.
      Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
      Every day is a learning day.

Comment

I remember back about 40 years of an insert called a RAWL PLUG which was a lead sleeve covered with a thin corrugated jute fiber. you'd drill a hole about 1/8th inch and about an inch deep and insert this sleeve. a #8 sheet metal screw would screw into the lead sleeve and expand the jute into the concrete to hold something of not much weight. you may have to do some on hands searching at some old lumber yards or mom n pop hardware stores.

Comment

Some exploratory drilling indicated that I was wrong about the casement--there are some hollow spots behind the paneling and other drillable areas. I took a 1/8" masonry bit in a cheap skil drill and was able to drill down about 1/2". In a spot one inch higher I could only drill 1/4". We're not too worried about cosmetics so eventually I'll find a spot that will hold the bracket.
          Thanks for the help!

Comment

Working...
          X
          =