Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kenmore ice maker problem

I have a Kenmore bottom freezer refrigerator.Model no.795-7756 4600 Serial no.610kr00489. The automatic shut off is not working. It keeps making ice until it is full to the top of the bucket then it freezes ever thing up on top of the ice maker. It hums like it's trying to dump but can't move.

The first time it happened I turned off the ice maker dumped the ice & let it defrost. After it defrosted I removed the excess water from the ice tray by soaking it up with paper towels. I turned it back on it did the same thing.

I now have it turned off. I would like to know how the cut off works & what I can do to fix it.

Thanks
    Dennis

It keeps making ice until it is full to the top of the bucket then it freezes ever thing up on top of the ice maker.
    Please clarify what "freezes everything up on top of the ice maker" means.

I would like to know how the cut off works
    I'm not familiar with the functioning of the icemaker on your model (it was made by LG Electronics) but the most common icemakers have a metal arm on the side of them that senses the level of ice cubes in the bucket and stops production when appropriate.

LINK > Kenmore 795.77564600 Icemaker Asm.

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~
    Last edited by Dan O.; 04-15-2009, 12:37 PM.

Comment

It gets completely full of ice & keeps trying to make more by putting in more water & freezing up.

It has a metal arm in front of the ice maker that I assume when the ice reaches that level it should hold the arm down & keeping the ice at that level & not making any more until some is used.

I can push the arm down & it will spring back up. Seems like it should be working.

Thanks for the reply.
      Dennis

Comment

It has a metal arm in front of the ice maker that I assume when the ice reaches that level it should hold the arm down
        On common icemakers (I don't know about the LG), the arm sweeps across the top of the ice bin. If it hits an obstruction ice production is stopped before the next harvest.

BTW. I wouldn't suggest you try forcing the arm manually.

JMO

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

It looks like my ice maker is now working. The only thing I did was let it defrost for two days. Removed the excess water from the ice tray & worked the cut off arm down a few times. It has now been working for two days.

Thanks for the reply
          Denni

Comment

Glad to hear it. Maybe something was just frozen up somehow and the defrosting freed it? We'll keep our fingers crossed for you.

Thanks for the followup.

Dan O.
            www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
            X
            =