Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DSL not working with FAX machine

I have one phone line that is connected to two phone jacks. This line is provisioned with DSL. This line also has distinctive ring.

My computer is connected to one jack and the fax to the other. The problem is the fax will not work unless the computer is unpluged.

We have tried all kinds of filters. Does anybody have suggestions?

DJS

When you say "the fax will not work" do you mean it won't send, won't receive, won't turn on? What happens if you switch the two, meaning plug the fax where dsl was and dsl where the fax was? Give us a little more info, and I will be glad to help.

Welcome to the forum!
    Try

Comment

When the computer is connected to the jack, the fax will not send in the other jack. Both jacks are connected to the same phone line, this phone line has DSL on it.

DJS

Comment

DJS,

I am very confused on your setup. You have ONE phone line in the house, right? You also have 2 phone jacks in the entire house, right? A DSL filter will split your SINGLE phone line into high and low frequency. The DSL is carried on the HIGH and the phone is carried on the LOW.

Is this a stand-alone fax machine?

Do you have a router?

Do you have a separate phone that you want to use on this same wall jack?

This is how I think it should be hooked if you have a router. If not router then leave that step out.

wall phone jack --> DSL filter --> HIGH Freq --> modem --> router --> system

DSL filter --> LOW Freq --> fax machine

Try this and report back to us. Be specific what equipment you have and want to hook up.

Comment

Having a router really shouldn't matter here.

Are you getting a dial tone with the fax machine?

~Jonathon Reinhart

edit: just realized we are playing with a 2-year old post here....
          ~Jonathon Reinhart

Comment

Do you have your computer modem plugged into the phone jack? When I had DSL I had to unplug the DSL cable from the jack and plug in a phone cord from the phone jack to the 56k modem in my computer to get it to work.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =