Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

toilet does not have enough water in it now!

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• toilet does not have enough water in it now!

Hey everybody,

I'm not sure what's going on with my toilet. A week ago my toilet developed a slow leak. I determined that the flapper was warped, so I went out and got a fluidmaster 'universal' flapper that was identical to the pre-existing one in the toilet. I swapped out the old flapper for the new one, adjusting the pull chain, and gave it an inagural flush. And everything worked - that is there was no more leak.
    The toilet went through a complete flush, however the final resting water level in the bowl is *much* lower than it used to be. Subsequent flushes do nothing to raise the water level. It appears that the new flapper falls closed far faster than the old one, letting far less water into the bowl (after the flush).
    A friend said that the newer flappers are made with different rubber that doesn't hold air as well, so it falls closed faster. I'm not sure that I buy that. Did I get the wrong part, or am I missing something here...

(Just for info, my toilet has a ballcock flush valve.)

Thanks.

Well, it would appear that I'm focused on the wrong thing. It seems like there's not enough water flowing into the refill tube. Is there some way to adjust how much water flows into the refill tube?

Or is it time for me to replace the ballcock with a newer float cup fill valve?

Thanks.

Comment

newer materials have different propertis so I wouln't worry bout it. make an adjustment in your tank float and see what happens.

Comment

Rotate the disc of the fuidmaster flapper to adjust the length of time that it stays open.

I prefer the Korky flappers myself.
        I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
        Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
        Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
        Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

there is a 1/4 inch tube that goes from the ball cock or shut off valve in the tank into the overflow tube that fills the bowl up after every flush. Make sure its in the overflow tube and not filling up the tank and that it has water coming out of it into the overflow tube

Comment

Have a look see at this link.

Pay close attention to step 5
            I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
            Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
            Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
            Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =