Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 last Question about breakers

My garage has 6 20 amp breakers in the circuit box. I noticed today that some of the wiring is 14\2, now I know this is not to code. Can I switch my breakers out to 15 amp breakers to bring it up to code? I have 3 outlets and a light on 1, 2 outlets and a light on another, 1 outlet and 2 lights on another, 3 lights on 1, garage door on 1, 2 outlets on the last one.
    Jtfoxman

Anything with 14/2 can only have a maximum breaker of 15 amp. 12/2 ...20 amp.
    change out the 14 g. wire to 15 amp breakers and your good to go code wise.

Note: 12/2 wire can have a 15 amp breaker as well if that makes it easier,
    the breaker can be smaller than the wire but never the other way around.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Originally posted by pushkins View Post
      Anything with 14/2 can only have a maximum breaker of 15 amp. 12/2 ...20 amp.
      change out the 14 g. wire to 15 amp breakers and your good to go code wise.

Note: 12/2 wire can have a 15 amp breaker as well if that makes it easier,
      the breaker can be smaller than the wire but never the other way around.
      Not quite sure I follow. You say to change out the 14g wire to 15 amp breakers. What do I do? Change all the wire to 12\2 or just change the breakers?
      Jtfoxman

Comment

No no no....lol.....sorry for the confusion.....what I was saying is that 14/2 wire can only have a maximum 15 amp breaker on it, so REPLACE the existing 20 amp breakers that are on the 14/2 wire with 15 amp breakers, you don't need to touch the wire at all, just replace the breakers.
        Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
        Every day is a learning day.

Comment

I get it now. Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.
          Jtfoxman

Comment

Working...
          X
          =