Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Plexiglass/acrilyc panels for privacy screen

I'm in the process of framing a privacy screen across one side of my deck. Its 30ft long, 10ft off the ground, and about 15 feet next to my neighbors back yard and porch.

Thus, I want to create a privacy screen. Was going to use lattice, frame it, stain it, start some ivy,.... try to make it really sharp. But I'm not a huge fan of lattice, we'd lose light, and we'd both have to stare at 30 feet of lattice.

Instead of Lattice, has anyone used, or heard of using Plexiglas-type material instead of lattice. I was thinking of framing it the same way and covering it with frosted or stained glass film, so we'd still get light, but we'd see shadows and what not.

Thanks,
    Shamus

plexi glass shatters when struck. polycarbonate will work better as it stay relatively flexible even in cold weather. frosting it would be better by sand blasting it on one side, or by using a fine grit belt sander.

Comment

polycarbonate....

Polycarbonate is a good choice for strength, but I believe it is not resistant to UV. Plus, fine scratches on it may cause it too stress crack from the UV effects.

Comment

Thanks. I used "Plexiglas" as a generic term. Hoping that a better alternative would be mentioned. I'm sure I can find polycarb that is opaque, so that I wouldn't even need to sand or frost it. I assume I should pre-drill pilot holes through it, and any place I order it from should be able to tell me the best way to secure it.

I just don't want to block all the light going from or to my neighbors side.
        Thanks.

Comment

Have you maybe considered glass blocks? they go up just like bricks or concrete blocks. silicone "cements" them together and they're foggy enough to give you privacy

Comment

Privacy fence....

The glass blocks HayZee talks of may be a better choice. Working with either acrylic or polycarbonate can get tricky. Drilling holes requires special drill bits, trimming it to size and edge treatment requires certain procedures as well as tools. Stress cracking after working it is the first indication of incorrect methods. The glass is longer lasting and holds up better to abrasion as well.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =