Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maytag agitator froze up

We have a Maytag LA710 Series 1 washing machine that sat all winter and now the agitator won't turn. What can I do about it? Thanks.

Originally posted by ba_50

the agitator won't turn.
    Is the motor running?

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Yes the motor is running. I put a wrench on the stem below and it would turn but very hard.

Comment

Transmission problem?

If the transmission pulley can not be (relatively) easily turned in the agitate direction to make the agitator agitate, than there is a problem inside the transmission. I don't believe a new replacement is available but the original transmission may be able to be rebuilt by a Maytag service depot.

JMO

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Dan,

My Dad used to work on Maytags in the 60's and remembered that if you sometimes put a load of hot water in the tub and let it sit awhile it will loosen it up, and it did. Bob

Comment

Originally posted by ba_50

if you put hot water in the tub and let it sit awhile it will sometimes loosen it up, and it did.
            Glad to hear it. Maybe one of the shaft seals was 'stuck' to the agitator shaft and the water loosened it up?

Thanks for the follow up and tip.

Dan O.
            www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Dan,

Even though this method has worked in the past, It still isn't working right. We hauled it out into the garage and will use a spare. He will work on it sometime. We try to keep two of everything.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =