Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Laundry Tub Faucet repair for non- handyman.

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laundry Tub Faucet repair for non- handyman.

I have an old (1970) style faucet in my basement laundry tub. Last night after cleaning up some painting materials, the hot water faucet shutoff will not completely shut off the hot water. It will only turn so far and then just spins. I've had to shut off the cold water input to my hot water heater to stop the leak.The faucet is a wheel style with a screw in the middle. How do I fix this.

Remove the handle then remove the stem and see what it needs.
    It may just need a new washer. Replace the seat as well.
    I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
    Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
    Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
    Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I'm not really good at this stuff. Is the hot water tank water input shut off while doing this OK, or do I need to shut off the main water into the house. Also what is a seat?

Comment

You should have 2 valves under the sink you can shut off.
        After removing the handle and unscrewing the stem...

stem

Still inside the faucet body there is a seat. Note on some of the cheaper brands they are not removable. The seat unscrews with a special wrench set using the right one to fit it... It is best to replace them but smothing them with sandpaper works well in a pinch. The water leaking past the washer erodes the seat and if the seat is not replaced or, resurfaced it will be rough and ruin the new washer when you install it. The seat if replaced must be a perfect match or it may ruin the faucet.

seat **********************************seat wrench set
        Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe

Comment

Redwood
          Thanks for the information. I will give it a try tonight. The only other thing is that are no shut off valves under the sink. Am I OK with just the water heater valve being shut off or should I shut of the main water.

Comment

Tracing the supply lines back there is no means of isolation ?
            I'd change that!
            Usually that situation is only found on bathtub/showers...
            If you are doing both sides then hit the main.
            If you are only doing the hot then usually at the water heater is okay.
            Now I can Plumb!

Comment

if you have a real old faucet then the seats are not removable. a plumbing shop or box store will have a faucet seat grinder kit. basically its a tee handle with a serrated cutter on the bottom. it goes into the faucet with the gland nut to keep it centered and you just cut the seat flat.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =