Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Window leak between panes

I have no idea what section this thread should go under...

Right after we got siding (don't know if that has anything to do with it) about 6 months ago one of the sashes in our bedroom window had condensation between the panes. It has still not gone away and yesterday I tilted the sash (took it off the track) and drops of water came out of the window.

The windows were installed in 1990 are vinyl and have a 50 year warranty. However, the I am having the hardest time locating the company which leads me to believe they are no longer in business. The company is Vinyl-Therm and it seems they used to have a factory in Bloomington, MN which is the city where I live.

What do I do from here?

your windows were originally sealed with argon or nitrogen in between the panes then sealed. the sealant has gone south allowing regular air in between panes. now its gonna act as if there is no inert gas between the panes. time to go looking for a better panel.

Comment

That window pane is worthless now, it won't retain heat or AC and acts almost like an open window. Most of the big window guys use much the same system for their windows, so even if the company has gone another company will most probably be able to sell you just the one sash.
      Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
      Every day is a learning day.

Comment

I found a place that can drill a very tiny hole in the corner, insert a clear check valve and clean any streaking that happens between the panes. This will let all the moisute out while not allowing any new moisture in. The cost is a lot lower than a new window. I will loose the insulating properties that the argon had but my R value will be much higher than it was with damp air between the panes. Since this is just 1 sash in the whole house that is doing this I think it is the way to go. Plus that window doesn't really get direct sunlight so the only loss would be a little heat in the winter. I do not know the pricing yet but requested a quote.

This is the company...
        Patented and Patent Pending repair process for fixing foggy windows or double pane units 1 800 4 Fog Out www.getthefogout.com
        Last edited by DKAudio; 06-16-2009, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Yes, I've seen that approach to windows with leaks. I didn't mention it as they haven't a great success rate, they cannot keep the air in there stable so you will often get moisture build up.
          The main problem is that they remove the existing air and replace it with "new" air as this "new" air is exposed to interior heat....outside cool or visa versa the air inside the pane condenses and your problem is all over again.
          I guess if you don't mind this or it's a short time fix then this would be a solution, though I'm not sure it's all that much cheaper, a new sash shouldn't be more than $100

Comment

Hmm, if it was only $100 I would do it in a heart beat, the windows tilt in for cleaning so I can remove the sash from the track in seconds. However, the sash has a fake wood covering over the vinyl and I doubt any manufacturer would be able to match it, what do you think?

I visited Jeld Win's site and didn't see anything relating to this or the finish.

Comment

Ok, I have contacted Anderson, Pella, Jeld-Wen and Marvin...all of them said that they cannot make a sash to go in someone elses track or they cannot match the style.

Any ideas now?

Comment

I found a reference about a company that bought Vinyl Therm try contacting them, , I cannot confirm that it's the case but it's always worth the try
                Thermal Line Windows :: Welcome

This is the thread I found:

Try contacting Thermal Line Windows. I believe that Thermal Line bought the VinylTherm distribution area, and many VinylTherm dealers became Thermal Line dealers.

Their website is: http://www.tlwindows.com

You would have better luck contacting the contractor who installed them, if that's known. The window manufacturer does not warranty the installation... only the window and its components.

Comment

Thank you, will try them out.

Comment

Good news, they did buy some of their equipment but don't honor the warranties. However, they got me in contact with a guy in my city who can just replace the panes of glass. He said they are just mechanically fastened to the frame. Cost is about $160 but the window will match at least.

Thanks!

Comment

Cool, problem solved, gotta love a happy ending.

Comment

Wow! Its about time somebody started doing this! What a great idea. Let us know how it turns out, and whether or not you would recommend their service to others.

HandymanTrainer

Comment

I will but keep in mind that not all windows can have their frame taken apart and re-assembled. Luckily mine can so just the sealed glass unit can be replaced. The guy came over and measured. He got me the low-e for $150 installed. He is ordering the glass from the company pushkins found. I'm going to watch how he does it so if another sash breaks a seal I can order and install the glass myself.

Comment

Window repair

My Mother in Law had a similar problem and asked me to take a look. I made a few calls and found a glass company who would make replacement window panes. All i has d to do was remove the glass and take it to be measured. Ithen replaced the old glass, waited about 5 days since they send their orders oyr, and then put the new glass in. Some vinyl window hold their frames together with screws. This one sort of snapped trim in place to hold the glass. Final solution to repair a ouble pane window was less than $30 and a little work on my part.
                            Ed

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            =