Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only One Circuit in House Has No Power

One of the circuits in the upstairs of the house which powers a hallway and a bedroom is receiving no power. I checked the outlets with a voltameter and it reads 0. All of the switches on the circuit breaker were in place when checked. From my limited knowledge of physics I know there is a break in the circuit somewhere but I have no idea what is causing it or how to fix it. Any help would be greatly appreciated and if you can give me a quote on what it would cost if I need an electrician to come and fix it would be great. Thanks.

physics doesn't enter into this mix. electrical theory does! power can go either to a switchbox first then the outlets -or- an outlet first then a feeder to the lighting switchbox. one of your outlets, probably the first one in the chain from your panelbox has an open hot, open neutral. if an outlet is fed first, it may be one of those that uses the backstab holes on the back of the receptacle and has somehow gotten loose. shut off the power to the circuit and open every outlet in the room(s) and examine the connections. electricians charge by the hour

Comment

thanks for the advice. Much appreciated. Just to spark converstation, in regards to it not being a physics question, the movement of current along a circuit is much apart of the physical world as an apple falling from a tree. Their are laws which define them and if you were to learn about this in a class at a university it would be part of the physics department.

Comment

I'm not going to argue about which subject takes priority over the other. you have an electrical problem - no power to your downstrean circuit so lets center the discussion on that. remove all outlets on the circuit and examine all of them. check for a loose backstab or loose screws. start there.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =