Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage door opener won't program 2 remotes

My 1/2 HP craftsman garage door opener works fine - problem is it will no longer program two remotes. It will program any one remote but not two. I replaced batteries and then bought new remotes. I had the block 'repair master' try it and two other technically-minded souls. No luck. Two car garage - I need two working remotes. Any suggestions?? Hate to buy a new one when it is working but repair costs are so high ...

Security plus remotes

Chamberlain manufactured a receiver that was backward compatible to the billion code system. It had a red learn button (maybe green). Neverthe less, you could program either the previous remotes or the security plus remotes, but you could not mix and match. thus one billion code remote and one security plus remote but not both. So you will simply need to take the remote you refer to use and purchase another one with the same remote signal.

It is confusing to many people even professionals whom are newer to the industry.

ryan

Comment

Garage door remote (s)

Thanks, Ryan. Will check that out but I think I bought two new remotes which should have been the same and it won't program both but I will double check.

Comment

erase all codes

Make sure to erase all codes by holding down the learn button till the indicater light goes off. On some models you can only store a fixed # of transmitters and will only erase the code for the last remote programmed instead of the oldest code programmed.
        Ryan

Comment

Garage door remote(s)

Now you might have hit on it. When I try to program the second remote (following manufacturers directions) I am erasing the one I just finished programming because I'm pressing the learn button again. Any sugestions about how to program that second remote?

Comment

Reset reciever board

Hold the learn button down for 10 seconds. then program each remote seperately by briefly pressing the learn button and then pressing the remotes till they work.

If this process erases the previously programmed remote, odds are they are not the same type, or frequency.

Ryan

Comment

Programming 2 remotes on Craftsman 1/2 hp

Neither remote is new. All DIP switches are the same. New battery in one of them, and now I can only get one remote to program at a time (either one programs, but cannot get both to at the same time). This is not rocket science, I have done this plenty of times before...what am I not getting. Here are my steps:

Press quick learn (red) button for 10 secs to clear all programming.

Hold button on remote and press quick learn button. I can hear it when it is done.

Hold button on 2nd remote...it won't program. After several scenarios of this, I am at a loss. Is there a trick?

Comment

Just thought I might chime in here,

If I am understanding what your doing, your holding the remote button down before you hit the "learn" button on the motor?

Try this again:

1. hold the "learn" button down on the motor for at least 10 seconds to clear its memory. you should see the flashing light change solid, or vice versa to confirm its been cleared.

2. now pick up a remote. push the "learn button" on the motor ONCE (you should see the LED light on the motor light up or flash) now press your remote button 1 time. you should see the LED on the motor change to indicate it programmed successfully. The remote should now work properly.

3. Now pick up the other remote and do exactly the same thing as step 2. You shouldnt have to "hold" any buttons down. 1 firm press on the program/learn button, and then 1 firm press on the remote you are trying to program.

If you are still having the same problem, then it is something I have never seen or heard of in my 10 years of garage door install. In this case, I would guess it is probably going to be a flaw in the mother/circuit board which would need to be replaced. Or get a really big hammer, teach it a lesson, and then go spend $138 on a new Chamberlain/craftsman opener. sometimes this is the answer

hopefully you have gotten it figured out by now, but if not, maybe this helps. good luck!

Comment

Would definitely try buying two 375LM universal remotes if all else fails. These remotes program to just about anything...be sure to do exactly as the instructions say.

You are getting to the point where it is probably more cost effective to save your money and buy a new opener with a purple learn button. They are much easier to program and take at least 6 remotes.

-Mike
                  Garage Door Parts
                  Last edited by stampdoorparts; 12-26-2011, 10:49 PM.

Comment

Same thing happened.....but figured it out

I had the same problem....I held down the red "learn" button for 10 seconds to clear....then I added 1 remote but when I tried the other remote it deactivated the first one.....after reading some threads here the trick is NOT to read the directions on the back of the controller (they are MISLEADING!)....you do NOT hold both buttons down......simply press the red button, then the remote control button. Then for the 2nd opener do the same....the directions say to hold both buttons simultaneously but this deactivates everything except the remote you are programming.

Hope this saves someone the aggravation I just went through!

Comment

How are you making out with this?

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      =