Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need some advice on flooring

Hi there. I decided to rip up my carpets in my bedrooms and put down wood flooring. What is best to put down when you have 2 dogs and 2 cats with claws? I have heard laminate is better than real wood. True? I have been looking at Home Depot, Lowes, Sams Club, Pat Sales, and my head is spinning. Consumer Reports said to go with something at least 8mm. Someone told me to get some by Mohawk which was 7mm. I don't want to put down something that won't hold up but I'm not made of money either. Any recommendations anyone? Your advice it greatly appreciated.

I'm not a huge fan of laminate flooring, I have to say that the feel and sound of real wood always is my preference. That being said a good laminate certainly has it's place, it takes much more wear and tear with dog nails etc..., it is for most people much easier to install and it's maintenance is much easier. As a general rule the better the quality laminate the more expensive it is, in my opinion laminates with the padding preinstalled to the back of the plank are ideal and usually offer better value for money than having to buy and install separate padding.
    If you look at around $2.50 + your starting to get into reasonable quality I found and installed a product I purchased from Sam's Club 600 sq. feet that cost $2.49/sq. foot and I found it to be better than I really expected. I have bought laminate at $5.95/ sq. foot and there was a difference but I'm not sure it was $3.50 worth.
    The more expensive laminates usually have a better and more realistic wood finish to them. Do not confuse laminate flooring with engineered flooring they are two different products, laminate is basically a very high quality photo attached to particle board or the like, engineered flooring is a small wafer thin piece of wood attached to a ply material. Laminates cannot ever be refinished and some engineered floors can be (some)
    7mm laminate flooring is OK and you will find once you get to around the $2.00+ mark they are all 7mm.
    Last edited by pushkins; 07-08-2009, 07:37 AM.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Hi,

Oak flooring will increase the value of your home. If you are planning to sell your house then potential buyers will be delighted by the warmth and elegant appearance of your house. If you look after your oak floors well then this will be lasting for many years. These floors are easy to maintain and install.

Overall, oak wood flooring is a great way to decorate your home. It creates a particular inviting quality, one that rarely makes an appearance in a home without wood flooring. This type of flooring is essential for any home owner who loves changing the feel of their rooms.

Comment

The laminate is better for the animals within your home. as far as the mm lenght i have no idea, just know the laminate is safer for ur animals and ur wallet ($$$) when it comes to the flooring.

Comment

If dog pees on the floor and water gets into the seam, you would have problem. I would use hard wood.

Comment

tile works

tile is a sanitary and pet proof product. you can put oversized rugs down if tile is not your thing for bedrooms

ceramictilepro

Comment

Advice on Flooring

Yes, Laminate Flooring is better option because it is safe to your animal within your home. Overall, Laminate flooring is a great way to decorate your home. Laminate floors can give you realistic looking ceramic or stone tile appearances without the hassle of having to clean soiled grout joints and is far less costly to install

Comment

express flooring - the op is older than a year why would you even answer the posting?

Comment

We had the same issue! Four years ago we put in laminate floors though and could not be more pleased. We have a chocolate lab 105 pounds and a Rot/husky mix 160 pounds and the floors look brand new. It doesn't scratch. The only issue I can think of is that I have dropped a large can and chipped a spot in the kitchen. I put some caulk the same color as the floor on the spot and you cant even tell now not that you really could before but when I was down on my hands and knees. Go with it you wont be disappointed! Not sure on the thickness of ours.

Comment

hi

i see to it that you made the right choice. i will tell that to my mom.

Comment

Re:

Yes I think hardwood is a better option...

Comment

Hi folks

I know this thread is old but the question is somwhat timeless because of the subject matter.

I too have an older dog who do to his health problems can be sick as any child. Every time he has a problem I become frustrated with the beige carpets that my home came with and wonder about the different flooring options.

The dearly beloved and I both like an authentic wood look. If and when the money shows up some day........ We would like to rip out the carpet and replace it with something better.

Right Now we are leaning toward an engineered product with one of the harder finishes. (Nothing less hard than oak) We are on a slab foundation.

We think that we could get the same affect as standard hard wood by using a floating installation with a higher quality vapor barrier / padding. We could also have the advantage of a scraped texture to help our dog or future critters keep traction without scratching the thing to pieces. And a floating clik style installation could possibly be done as a DIY project.

On the other side of the fence some folks advocate an extensive glue job for this rather than floating.

And still others might think about tile or linoleum.

Thoughts? Comments? Preferences?

Sincerely NightBird
                        Last edited by NightBird; 10-30-2010, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Do you know whats under the carpet? Normally homes built before 1962 you will find hardwood as FHA didn't approve carpet until 1962. I sold hardwood but decorating isn't my strong suit either but I find the Parquet ok. Is normally suggested to blend two looks rather than trying to 'match' flooring. If you find hardwood you may just want to call a refinisher and get their thoughts.

Comment

I have installed a couple floating hardwood floors, as you mention with a vapor barrier. Depending on where you live, putting down a high density foam first will help keep you much warmer.

Regarding pets, the best hardwoods I've seen have been marred by dog claws. But the engineered products hold up amazingly well, and the easy of installation is a plus. It doesn't look the same as real wood, but there are always tradeoffs. Good luck!

Comment

Just had to comment on this topic.... Hardwood flooring is so beautiful I would have to recommend it as something to consider as one of the prettiest addition of floors to your home . When properly sealed and maintained hardwood is has an extremely long life span and is worth the work and expense of installing it. Of course, laminates are cheaper and are a good alternative for those who want a good bang for their buck.
                              Last edited by Janeofalltrades; 08-07-2011, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              =