Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 wire 220?

Hey guys, I live in a mobile home so I dont have that much electricity at my disposal, in my laundry room I have a 220v outlet for my washer and dryer, I also have a 220v air compressor that I want to run off that same outlet, either plugging in the washer/dryer OR air compressor, which ever I need at the moment. I just moved the air compressor into that room and compared the end on the cord to the wall outlet and they are different. That would'nt throw me so much if they had the same amount of prongs. My wall outlet and the washer/dryer have 4 prongs, the air compressor has 3. I traced the wires back to where they hook up to the air compressors motor and there's only a black, white, and ground. Its basically set up like a heavy duty 110 or something. I want to go buy a new cord with the matching end for the wall but I dont know which wire to leave out, or if I should, or what. I normally stick with 110, if that, so this has me sorta baffled. Any help?

the dryer circuit is fused for 30 amps. this is waayy over what you need for an air compressor running at 240 volts. you'd be better to install an appropriate outlet to fit your compressor's plug. for 240 you'll need a double pole breaker. check the nameplate of the compressor to see how its wired and for what voltage. if it says 120/240 then you can rewire the motor for 240. if it just says 120 volts, it can't run on 240.

Comment

I have no room in my box to install anymore breakers that is why I want to share the outlet in the first place. If I had room for more breakers I would certainly find a much better place to put the compressor and its outlet in the first place. Its less then ideal having the air compressor inside the laundry room to start with. It does say 240 btw. So what would be the appropriate amp breaker in your thoughts for a compressor?

Comment

Compressor/Dryer

OK. Go to a big box store and pick up a 30 amp four wire dryer pigtail, a 4 11/16 inch square junction box, a flat wire connector, [probably 3/4 inch KO] a 1/2 raised X 4 11/16 inch cover to fit either the 15 or 20 amp 240 receptacle. Wire it as such - black to one brass screw, red - the other brass screw, green to the green screw on receptacle yoke. cut off and tape the white. Now mind you, you will be working with 30 amps at 240 volt. Be careful. The compressor will probably draw 15 amps or less at 240 volt.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =