Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Furnace with High Pitch Noise

We recently installed a Trane XL-90 two stage gas furnace. When the heat comes on we get a high pitch noise (whine) in both stages. It is very annoying, especially in the second stage. We have a single air return. Any ideas about how to resolve this.

Welcome to the forum. Has the gas pressure to the burners been adjusted to the proper pressure?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Hube

Welcome to the forum. Has the gas pressure to the burners been adjusted to the proper pressure?

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by Hube

[/This was done at installation about 3 months ago. Since that time the condensate drain line has plugged twice and the inducer motor is going to be sealed again. Should I have them check the pressure to the burners again?]]

Comment

Did this noise start to occur from day one? Or just recently?I am assuming you have determined that the "whine" is NOT Return air /fan related, usually caused by improper sizing of the R/A ducts OR improper fan speed. Hube

Comment

The noise did start from day one. Thanks for your help. The house was built in 1978 and the original furnace was electric. We did not experience the high pitch noise with the electric furnace. There is just one air return and the fan runs only when the burner is on. We have not ruled out anything for sure.

Comment

Acosta; When the conversion was made from electric to gas furnace was there any alterations done to the duct lay-out. This problem seems to be in the AIR movement, as being restricted, etc..Hube

Comment

I have a similar problem with my Trane furnace (2.5 years old). A repairman came and took a look at it. At the time the noise was not reproducing, but he thought it was from the high gas pressure. The noise initiates when the gas flow is turned on during the heating process. But, he said the gas pressure is controlled by the city and there was nothing he could do. Is this correct? It would not be such a problem if the furnace wasn't located in the attic above our master bedroom. Would another furnace have the same problem?

Comment

Wchang3t; The furnace's pressure regulator will adjust any pressure that is coming in too high ... A Service Tech will do this if it needs adjusting. This is the first thing that i asked "acosta", and the answer was "it was done when it was installed 3 months ago". Furnace set-ups are not for the DIY er. You need training and proper testing instruments. Hube

Comment

The repairman said he could not do anything about the pressure and noted on the repair bill that it was normal noise.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    =