Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need light switch help

Hello.

So I am going through the house putting new light fixtures in, electric outlets, light switches, painting, taking wallpaper down from previous owners and such.

Today I went to replace a light switch and found it to be unlike others Id changed and before I went forward I stopped to see if someone had some insight.

This switch is different than the others in that I cant tell where I should put what wire, all the others had a ground that was just a bare wire but this one has no bare wires. 2 red and 1 white.

The side of it with 2 posts to screw down are the red ones and the other side has just one screw down with a white wire on it. Switches I am going to has just 2 posts on one and on the bottom is the one for ground.

So I should put the 2 red ones in same posistion on the new switch and the white one put on the ground?

is this a combination switch - outlet? it could be a three way switch. a HOT or RETURN with two travelers.

Comment

It sounds like you have a three way switch. To make it easy for yourself, label the wires and there locations on the switch to be replaced. Then go get the exact same switch, and put the wires in the same location. But also make sure you secure the wires.

Comment

if you are not squeemish of working with hot wires, touch one red to the other red and see what happens. if nothing happens then its almost possible that these are the travelers. then touch that red with the white and see what happens. if the light turns on, then one of the wires, the white or the red is the hot or return to the fixture. try the other red with the white. if nothing happens you've found the traveler. on the new switch, the odd color screw is the common terminal, the other two brass are for the travelrs.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =