Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dirt basement walls

My house was built in 1933. the walls of the basement are falling apart. There is a lot of dirt on the floor from the foundation. i need to know how i can fix this.

it seems Lisa does have a problem...
    Typically in dirt basement wall situations like yours you will need to get someone to apply a concrete coating over the top of the dirt to help stabilize it.
    Until you can get this done you will need to keep an eye on the condition of this dirt wall, obviously you cannot allow it to keep falling away from the foundation.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

if your walls are supported by nothing but dirt, then I doubt you have any foundation. the first floor is just resting on concrete block or field stone. the cellar was just dug out after the house was built. applying concrete by hand may not do. you'd probably need to have the concrete applied with "some force behind it" as in "shot-crete. this is concrete applied under pressure to a screen of some type. shot-crete is used to make the walls of dug out swimming pools.

Comment

Shot-crete was what I was referring to.

Comment

sorry Dan, didn't know.

Comment

Thanks for this info, guys. Very interesting you can do this. Could shot-crete possibly be used inside existing foundations that are leaky too?

Comment

dirt basement walls

Hello Gentelman,
              Thanks for the great tips on the basement wall problem. Does anyone know of anything I can try to do it myself?

Comment

Not really. Even if you were to install courses of concrete block inside the existing walls, you'd need to anchor them through the dirt so they wouldn't "slide" on you. Each block weighs about20 lbs.

Comment

problem basement wall

Thanks heyzee518, Do you think I could put some kind of re-bar ( i'm not sure if that is the right word, but hopefully you know what i mean ) through the dirt with wire mesh in the dirt then add courses of concrete to build up the wall? My furnace is right next to the problem wall and offers little space to work. I can't really afford to hire a pool guy to come in to do this. I am assuming it will be quite expensive Thank You for the info.

Comment

You might be surprised at the cost, especially if you need just one area done (right now). Shot-crete is used many times for exterior embankment retention as well. The cost may not be all that bad considering you probably don't need it trowelled (and finishing adds a large chunk of the cost) to a finish and may well be prepared to have the rough texture that it is blasted on with.

Comment

Thanks

Thank YOu Pushkins, can I call any pool guy for this

Comment

Yep, you sure can, but before you drag out the "pool guy" yellow pages don't forget that you will be looking for a concreter that specializes in "shot-crete" pools...AKA concrete pools.

Comment

pushkins

hey pushkns,
                          thanks so much, If it wasn't for you i would be just watching my pile of dirt get bigger and bigger

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          =