Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shower Stall surround finishing

So we installed a 48" shower stall (Sterling/Kohler) and now need to finish the walls around it. According to the installation manual, Kohler says to use "water resistant wall material" in between the studs and finished wall material (green sheetrock)

So #what# is this water resistant wall material they speak of? (Called Kohler and they didn't have an answer)

The instructions are here:

PAGE 31

and here's an actual picture of what I'm asking about..

The plumbing codes prohibit using water resistant sheetrock (green board) in a shower enclosure.

You must use cement board until the walls reach an elevation at least 72" higher than the finished height of the drain opening.

All cut or exposed edges must be sealed with a water resistant sealant.

Cement board may not be used on the ceiling.

Also,you may not install a water proof membrane behind the cement board.

Ref: IRC section 702.4 & 307.2
    UPC section 2512 & 807.3

You can find the cement board at all home supply centers.
    Last edited by LazyPup; 08-04-2009, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Lazypup is correct however in 99.9% of the cases like yours depicted in the picture you are OK to use "greenboard" (I always use the paperless board) above your shower enclosure, it's more than 72" above the drain. On the front edge of the shower unit it is not feasible to use cement board for that little 3" strip, I don't know an inspector alive that would fault you for using "greenboard/paperless board along that edge. As it's a corner you need to use drywall corner strips and they simply will not work with cement board and drywall mud.
      The rest of the room should be finished in greenboard/paperless drywall and primed with a vapor barrier sealer like Zinsser or Kills.
      Don't forget to seal all edges of your drywall around the tub including the top with a good quality caulk.
      PS: I always add insulation behind shower units to help keep the noise down, especially fiberglass units like yours.
      Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
      Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Thanks

I have cement board for the floor. Should have an extra sheet when the floor s done. I haven't decided which way to go above the shower stall.. tiles or paint.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =