Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Argg.. Cold dinner..

Well I've got myself a dead oven on a Tappan Range (model number Tef242bw2) and I'm not real sure where to go next on troubleshooting. ------------------------------------------------------------------------- All the range elements work fine. They heat up to nice bright red so I don't think I'm running half 220V. The oven indicator comes on when I select a temperature but the oven compartment remains completely cold. ------------------------------------------------------------------------- I first tested the heating element. 22 Ohms from element end to end. Infinite resistance between the element and the sheath so it's not shorted out. Looks ok. ------------------------------------------------------------------------- I then tested the thermostat. It's infinite resistance when set to off and goes to zero Ohms when rotated to a temperature. It makes a nice audible "click" just like it always has and seems to be just fine. ------------------------------------------------------------------------- I'm about to go in there and tear it down real good and inspect the wiring in between the thermostat, element, and the ground. If there's voltage at the thermostat (to turn on the little orange oven light), there's got to be a problem between it and the element. I figured it might be best to drop a line here and see if anybody might have some tips on what to look out for. It's a pretty simple appliance but sometimes it's the simple ones that get ya! ------------------------------------------------------------------------- Thanks for any tips ya'll might have! I really appreciate it (as does that delicious home-made lasagna that's now languishing in the fridge).
    Last edited by Psycho0124; 08-18-2009, 08:17 PM. Reason: What happened to my formatting?!
    If man makes it, man can fix it!

Is there a high temp limit

Comment

Yeap. I checked it once I got the back off and found it wasn't tripped. Turns out, it was the damned selector switch. I disassembled it and found that the little wheel in there that actuates the contact levers was damaged (looks like crummy brittle BakeLite plastic). I swapped the oven and broiler outputs on the selector switch as I bake far more than I broil stuff (that's why I've got a BBQ pit!) and all seems to be good. The broiler is wired though the thermostat just like the oven circuit so the functionality should still be the same. I guess at some point I'll order a new one but jeez.. $67 for this simple thing?! (Frigidaire Part Number: 318057910) If this weren't an appliance part, it wouldn't be worth no more than 10 bucks. Highway robbery if you ask me.. I appreciate the tip! Sorry for posting before giving it a full run-down. 220 appliances just give me the creeps I guess. So much potential for chaos if something goes wrong! 8^)
      If man makes it, man can fix it!

Comment

240 intimidates a lot of people doing their own wiring. they'll install 20 and 15 amp circuits all over the place but they won't touch 240. I don't know!

Comment

Working...
        X
        =