Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whirlpool Fridge Compressor Clicking Noise

I have a GD5LHG 25.4 side by side (bout 8 years old) with water and ice and noticed this loud clicking noise frequently occuring last week or so.
    I also seem to sense some hot air coming from bottom but not sure it hasn't done that before.

Is this a compressor or relay problem? Or how can i deteremine?

Thanks.

Compressor clicking?

GD5LHG side by side
    That model number is incomplete. Did you get it right off the appliance's model and serial number identification tag? That is the only reliable place the complete information will be found.

noticed this loud clicking noise
    From where? The compressor??

Is this a compressor or relay problem?
    If the clicking is coming from the compressor, it could be either.

Or how can i deteremine?
    If the clicking was coming from the compressor a technician would usually connect the compressor directly using a test cord (bypassing the relay and overload) to see if it would run and also to measure its amperage. If it ran and the amperage draw was within tolerances the relay/overload would be assumed to be the cause and just replaced. If it did NOT run or drew excessive amperage the compressor would be determined to be defective.

Do not allow the compressor to continue to click on and off or damage to the compressor could result (if it isn't already the cause). When noticed the appliance should be turned off or disconnected from power for 10-15 minutes to allow the compressor a chance to cool. If the compressor didn't start right back up again when plugged in, it should be left off until it can be serviced.

JMO

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

yea sound from bottom of fridge.
      Sorry bout model number, got it from my home computer while at work and it only had that , not sure why i am missing rest of it will need to check when i get home.

However,I did notice that all of the WHirlpools that sart with that all have the same relay part from appliancepartspros the part was ap3083556.
      Called local store but they didn't have it.

It sounds like I am not able to determine this myself as it sounds too technical though I may be able to roll the dice and try replacing the relay first right?

Comment

ok pulled off back of fridge and felt compressor, very hot to touch. I don't notice it clicking anymore but fridge and freezer are still cold.
        Does this mean its good? Or compressor is now locked up and cooling will stop sometime soon?

Is the compressor not supposed to be hot to the touch?

I have unplugged it and will plug in after putting fan on compressor to see what happens.

Found it Model GD5LHGXKQ00
        Last edited by alan93; 08-21-2009, 06:35 PM. Reason: added model number

Comment

I plugged it back in and no clicking and compressor is getting hot again. And its buzzing but not too loud so I assume its running.

I did vacume coils on front were quite covered , ones in back were not.
          I think its ok but not sure why it was clicking on and off the other day.
          I keep it no hotter than 82 degrees in house during summer.

Freezer temp is about 15 degrees.
          Refrigerator is about 30,,,that too cold?
          Last edited by alan93; 08-21-2009, 06:56 PM.

Comment

does this mean i'm out of life lines?

Comment

Is the compressor not supposed to be hot to the touch?
              No. Warm at most.

Freezer temp is about 15 degrees. Refrigerator is about 30,,,that too cold?
              If you have an icemaker the freezer temperature should be approx. +2 to -2°F.

To get accurate food compartment readings measure the water temperature* of a container of water on a middle shelf in the refrigerator compartment. It should have a temperature of approx. 38 to 42°F.

(*That water temperature will only be accurate 12+ hours after each temperature dial change.)

I did notice that all of the WHirlpools that sart with that all have the same relay
              Sorry but I don't have time to check each and every possible model. I'm not getting paid for my time here.

all have the same relay . the part was ap3083556.
              That one is for use if your compressor has been replaced previously during service. If your model still has its original compressor (likely labeled EGY80 or EGY90), the following relay/overload is the correct replacement for its.

LINK > Whirlpool GD5LHGXKQ00 Relay/Overload (for production compressor)

JFYI

Dan O.
              www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Dan O. View Post

That one is for use if your compressor has been replaced previously during service. If your model still has its original compressor (likely labeled EGY80 or EGY90), the following relay/overload is the correct replacement for its.

Whirlpool GD5LHGXKQ00 Relay/Overload(for production compressor)

JFYI

Dan O.

=D~~~~~~
                I couldn't help but notice that the part you recommended was not a similar part used for production models, but a different part altogether!
                I ordered an overload relay and you are telling me I need the starting device switch...so what's the difference?

I doubt it would hurt to replace both but if one fixes it will probably send other back.

Comment

Semantics

the part you recommended was not a similar part used for production models, but a different part altogether!
                  The part I linked to is for use on the factory original compressor which was installed in your model when it left the factory. It is listed in the 'Unit' illustration as item # 16.

The part number you quoted is used on a replacement compressor... if the original compressor has already been changed by someone (ie. had a major repair).

I ordered an overload relay and you are telling me I need the starting device switch...so what's the difference?
                  The difference is the words that happened to be used to describe them. A compressor relay is the starting device.

The overload protector may or may not be sold as part of the relay depending on the design of the part in question. The part I linked to does look to also include the overload protector (ie. relay/overload asm.).

JFYI

Dan O.
                  www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~
                  Last edited by Dan O.; 08-23-2009, 05:44 PM.

Comment

No. Warm at most.

If you have an icemaker the freezer temperature should be approx. +2 to -2°F.

To get accurate food compartment readings measure the water temperature* of a container of water on a middle shelf in the refrigerator compartment. It should have a temperature of approx. 38 to 42°F.

(*That water temperature will only be accurate 12+ hours after each temperature dial change.)

Sorry but I don't have time to check each and every possible model. I'm not getting paid for my time here.

JFYI

Dan O.

=D~~~~~~
                    Well I ordered the part for the production compressor as you advised and I cannot see how it is supposed to plug in.
                    I believe they have sent me the wrong part a second time.
                    Can you verify this or advise me on how to hook it to my compressor?
                    Because the new is totally different fromold

home dot fuse dot net/alan93/compressor3.jpg

please see address above for part

Comment

part did not work

Comment

Can you verify this or advise me on how to hook it to my compressor?
                        The picture looks to show the correct replacement relay type, yes.

The kit I linked to should have come with installation instructions. I don't have a copy available to me.

Dan O.
                        www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

The picture looks to show the correct replacement relay type, yes.

The kit I linked to should have come with installation instructions. I don't have a copy available to me.

Dan O.

The instructions are quite sketchy and don't describe how all parts are assembled.

www dot servicematters dot com docs / part_instruct / 8201792B.pdf

I can't figure it out. It says my EGY90 goes with the one white thing but does the white thing and the black relay go together? Or is it the black thing and one of the little things?

The wires don't go to the big white thing howerver instructions show existing wires going to black relay and ....? what ever that is next to black relay, one of the smaller white things? then what do i do with the big white thing?
                          Last edited by alan93; 08-27-2009, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Ok after studying this esoteric piece of instrucitons for several hours, here's my best guess.

I have Style 2 (figure 4) SO I use the black relay with the small white overload (2154697) on the compressor then...

I hook the blue wire up to black relay on right.
                            I hook the red wire up to overload on bottom.

Then I use one of the white jumpers onto left side of black relay and splice it on to existing white wire in bottom of fridge that came off of old relay which had overload built into it??

Is that it?

Comment

Is that it?
                              That sounds correct to me from the instructions you linked to.

Dan O.
                              www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              =