Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GE Artica Refrig. PSC23SGMD BS - No Water, No Ice

I have a GE Artica Refrig. model PSC23SGMD BS. For over a year the ice maker would work but the water didn't. A couple months ago I unplugged and moved the fridge to a new house, and the water worked for a few days but quit again. This lead me to believe the water dispenser water line was frozen. This month my ice maker also quit working. Using a hair dryer, I thawed out the rock solid water reservoir tank behind the fresh fruits drawer. After doing this i heard what sounded like water moving through the lines but it never dispensed. I also noticed that the water reservoir had a small leak. I have found the part number for the tank, WR17X10734 GE, but i am not sure if this is all or just a part of my problem. Would a very small leak prevent the water from dispensing? Is there anything else that i should try before replacing the tank? Does anyone have any directions on how to replace tank and/or couple the water lines? Thanks for any help.

The tank should come with manufacturers instructions, but if not ask for them. Also trace the line and find where the leak is and seal it temporarily and try to work it from there to see if you get the full works.

Comment

Frozen?

Would a very small leak prevent the water from dispensing?
      Not totally, no. It might cause delayed dispensing or run-on after termination of use.

Is there anything else that i should try before replacing the tank?
      If the leak is from the tank, it definitely needs to be replaced. The expansion caused by freezing could very well have cracked it.

LINK > GE WR17X10734 Water Reservoir Asm.

lead me to believe the water dispenser water line was frozen.
      Newer electronically controlled GE fridge models like you have have had problems with the water line inside the door freezing when the freezer was being kept too cold (in addition to the water reservoir freezing when the fridge compartment was too cold). Thawing of the freezer door might be required.

Make sure your compartment temperatures are not too cold.

my ice maker also quit working.
      If the icemaker is just not filling, the fill tube that goes through the rear of the cabinet to the icemaker could have frozen closed. There is also the possibility of a defective water fill valve on the back of the fridge or a problem in the icemaker itself.

LINK > GE PSC23SGMDBS Water Fill Valve

JFYI

Dan O.
      www.Appliance411.com
      The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Dan O. You are on the money!!! I checked the water flow at the bottom of the freezer door and it was flowing fine. I unplugged the freezer for a few hours and the water dispenser is working. I couldn't let the freezer thaw overnight because i don't have enough storage to keep the food cold. I am going to check with GE about replacing the door although it is out of warranty. If they don't do it i can live with unplugging to thaw the door...at least i know the problem.

I was not so lucky with the icemaker. I don't think it is frozen, but water is not filling the tray. I unhooked the ice maker water line at the water fill valve and plenty of water flowed out. How can i determine if the water fill valve is faulty or if i need to replace the ice maker itself? I greatly appreciate your help.
        Last edited by desull; 08-29-2009, 10:21 PM.

Comment

I unhooked the ice maker water line at the water fill valve and plenty of water flowed out.
          Yes there will still be water in the tubing from the water valve to the icemaker even if the tube that goes through the cabinet is frozen closed. It should be directly inspected before being ruled out as a possibility.

How can i determine if the water fill valve is faulty
          One test method which might be employed is described at the following link:

LINK > How do I test a water fill valve?

JFYI

Dan O.
          www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

I confirmed that the tubing from the water valve to the ice maker is not frozen. I ordered the water valve and the reservoir. This evening the green light next to the power switch was blinking for a few minutes and then stopped. Is that an indicator of anything?

Hopefully the water valve is the problem, I should have it in a couple of days. Thanks

Comment

I replaced the water valve and the ice maker is now working but is overfilling. There is a drip from the left side of the icemaker that drips down and freezes solid to the top of ice bucket. Is there a way to adjust the water flow/fill?

Also the icemaker is working a lot slower than it used to, and is not filling the ice bucket overnight. Any ideas?

Comment

Yeap! There are adjustment instructions for several types of ice makers Here
                Last edited by Psycho0124; 09-09-2009, 07:38 PM.
                If man makes it, man can fix it!

Comment

Overfilling or leaking??

I replaced the water valve and the ice maker is now working but is overfilling. There is a drip from the left side of the icemaker that drips down and freezes solid to the top of ice bucket.
                  Overfilling and dripping are usually two different things. Which is it that is actually occurring?

Is there a way to adjust the water flow/fill?
                  Most normal refrigerator icemakers have an adjustment screw to slightly adjust the total amount of water that enters the ice cube mold *during a fill*. Your icemaker however should be one of GE's electronically controlled models which controls that electronically and has no manual adjustment.

If water is continuing to drip into the ice mold after the fill should have stopped, the problem is not it filling too much but water flow failing to cease when power is removed from the water valve. That usually results in water dripping out of the ice mold and into the ice bucket where it freezes into a mess.

Also the icemaker is working a lot slower than it used to, and is not filling the ice bucket overnight. Any ideas?
                  GE's electronically controlled icemaker should average approximately 75 minutes for each drop of 7 ice cubes. The only things that should slow production is too warm of temperature, intermittent fill or defect in the icemaker.

JMO

Dan O.
                  www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

I am still having problems with the water dispenser freezing up. The problem is more frequent and takes longer to unthaw than it did a few months ago. As previously stated this model has trouble with the door freezing, but is there anything else that i should try before accepting this as the problem. It is a pain to unplug the refrigerator weekly. The freezer temp is normally 2 degrees and the fridge side is 39. Any ideas? I appreciate your help.

Comment

As previously stated this model has trouble with the door freezing, but is there anything else that i should try before accepting this as the problem.
                      1. Have you confirmed the stoppage is due to freezing of the water supply tube inside the freezer door?

2. If so, try to determine exactly where it is freezing. If it is freezing just in close proximity to the exit nozzle, there is an add-on heater that can be added to some models to help prevent it.

LINK > Dispenser water tube heater kit

If it is freezing deep inside the door, either the door(s) will need to be replaced to correct the condition or the temperature of the freezer may need to be kept warmer.

JMO

Dan O.
                      www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      =