Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GFCI indicator light is on but no power at receptacle

I just installed a replacement GFCI on my outdoor low voltage lighting system because my old one shorted out due to a driving rain storm. (GFCI shorted out but did not trip breaker.) The new GFCI is a Leviton model with an indicator light.

The indicator light is illuminated, but neon voltage testing showed no voltage at the receptacle. (Also tried plugging in a radio - no luck.) Leviton instructions state that when the indicator light is on, there is power to the GFCI. Pushed in "Test" and "Reset" with no resolution. Checked wiring; white, black and ground are properly connected. The original GFCI was wired by a professional electrician April, 2008 as a dedicated circuit with only this one receptacle. It goes directly into the breaker box and has its own breaker.

Does anyone know why the indicator light would be illuminated with no voltage at the receptacle, and what to do to correct the problem?
    Last edited by Tbird110599; 09-04-2009, 11:42 PM.

From the Leviton web site: 7599 > Duplex > GFCI Receptacles > GFCI Ground Fault Devices > All Leviton Products from Leviton Electrical and Electronic Products

A line-load reversal diagnostic feature is provided which prevents the GFCI from being reset and stops power from being fed to the GFCI receptacle face or through to downstream devices. A green LED indicator on the GFCI's face also illuminates to alert the installer to the line-load wiring reversal.
    The indicator light could mean that it's wired incorrectly. Try swapping the line-load wires? Even if the circuit was wired by a pro, it would be far from the first time an electrician got his wires crossed

Also it could just mean the receptacle is bad. It's not too common that this is the case but with electronics, I have learned to be suspicious of anything fresh off the assembly line.
    Last edited by Psycho0124; 09-02-2009, 09:30 AM.
    If man makes it, man can fix it!

Comment

I also vote for wired wrong.

Don't simply go swapping wires though. TEST to make sure black is hot and white is neutral. If they are reversed, which I serious doubt, then fix that problem first.

Also, if you are going to do electrical work in your house lose that silly neon tester and get yourself a decent meter. They can be had for under $50.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedy Petey View Post
        Also, if you are going to do electrical work in your house lose that silly neon tester and get yourself a decent meter. They can be had for under $50.
        I agree! I picked up a cheapo multimeter at radio shack for under $10 and it works great as a backup meter (fits in my toolbox). If you want a nice one, I'd recommend the AMPROBE 15XP-A
        Amprobe 2727836 | Digital Multimeters

Had mine for some time now and love it. It's even got a non-contact voltage sensor so I don't end up trying to strip live wires with my teeth anymore... Worth every penny!
        Last edited by Psycho0124; 09-02-2009, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Solution

After rechecking the wiring with no success, I called the electrician who originally installed the outlet. He came over today, checked the outlet and wiring, and said the new GFCI was defective. I picked another one up, reinstalled, and my house is nicely lit again. The electrician said that he has experienced many defective Leviton GCFIs straight out of the box. For that reason he no longer uses that brand.

Thanks for all your help. Great forum!
          Last edited by Tbird110599; 09-04-2009, 11:09 PM.

Comment

Great! Glad to hear ya got it sorted out!

Comment

Working...
            X
            =