Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sealing around windows

recently, I resealed around the windows on the front of the house, which has a brick face. The back of our house is vinyl siding. Is there any kind of maintenence I need to perform around those windows?

You can caulk the spaces around those windows also, depending if it needs it.

Comment

the windows installed on the house are fastened to the sheathing with a bed of silicone underneath. you mentioned brick face so there's no full sized brick for the facade. the brick is mere decoration. there should be around your windows in back where the vynil siding is a channel that goes around the window casing. this fitting is called a J track. there's two J tracks one on one side of the casing, one on the other side. the top J track is slightly longer at the ends as the plastic is cut to form a tab which goes down inside the side tracks. water that drains off the siding is channeled to the ends and then down the J track, and so off the window. you might add some silicone sealer at the corners of the J track bottom, only! The J track ends at the window bottom and a plastic "cleat goes over the cut side of the siding so there's a little gap that's not sealed and "could" leak water.

Comment

The windows possibly could be fastened to the sheathing as in new contruction and other, but a number of windows are not installed to the sheathing, and do need caulking. It depends on the situation at hand if the windows are new construction type/configuration or other

Comment

yeah, I wanted to get some opinions before I caulked around any of the window siding tracks. I figured if I caulked the wrong place on or around those tracks I could cause more problems than I'd solve

Comment

Working...
          X
          =