Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• computer not showing anything

recently my heatstick/fan stopped working, so now my computer when i turn it on i get nothing on the screen its just black its not the monitor or the graphics card bc I have a built in graphics and a pci express card, im not sure whats wrong but im guessing i have to get another fan/heat stick but there really hard to put back in with those pins on the bottom? so any help

Well regardless you will need to replace the fan or you PC will overheat and that is not good. Take it in to Best Buy geek squad if you dont want to do it yourself.

Comment

Is it a notebook? Have you tried a different monitor?

Comment

computer not working!!!

hey i would suggest to install the windows because it is the problem which is linked to your windows...after reinstalling the windows you can easily work without any further problems.....

Comment

The CPU (processor) will drop in really easy. But you may have burned up your motherboard.

Comment

If your CPU fan does not turn on when you boot up the first thing to do is check to see if the cable from the fan became loose. If you see the cable from the fan not attached to anything look near the top of the motherboard for a place to plug it in. When you find the input that matches the number of pins on the connection that will be the one. Also some motherboards label it, if so look for the one that says CPU Fan.

If this does not work double check all the cables attached to your motherboard for loose connections.

If neither of these work then either the CPU fan or motherboard is failing.

Comment

Here is a little more info about the problem when the computer is on the power light on the monitor is dim like it the computer is turned off. I have noticed that the power light on my monitor dims when the computer is off. The power light gets brighter when the computer is turned on.

Comment

If the fan burns out, you can cause some major damage if your computer fails to shut off automatically. This may have happened.
                Drywall Taping & Finishing For Beginners
                http://drywallinfo.com

Comment

I agree, you probably nuked your processor. That fan is what keeps them cool and they don't like a lot of heat.

I left one on early this year on my workbench overnight and in the morning the computer had shut off. Or so I thought. The fan quit working on the processor and that was all it needed to finish it off.

Comment

First off, I apologize for being long winded here, but I figure more info instead of less is better...

There are several things that can cause this, the least troublesome of which is a CPU that has come unseated from its ZIF socket.

So I guess I need to ask some background questions here...

1. What is the make / model of the computer in question? (If it's a clone, please give specs like mainboard, CPU, RAM modules etc...
                    2. Did you remove / replace the heat sink / fan assembly that you said failed? Doing so CAN pull the CPU from the socket.
                    3. Do any of the fans spin up when you power on?
                    4. Are there any beeps from the system when you attempt to boot up?
                    5. Are there any flashing lights? If so are they flashing in a pattern?
                    6. Have you disconnected the drive leads from the main board to test?
                    7. Did the CPU overheat?

Typically if you run into the situation where you get no video output at all, it's EITHER the CPU, or Mainboard. Bad or disconnected memory will allow the system to come up to the POST (Power On Self Test) but fail on the memory test, drives, add in cards except for video have different symptoms. If it's a video board, the fans will spin up and the drives will proceed like normal on most systems... Since you have on board video it's not likely the video will without the rest of the system board turning its toes up soon after...

So check that CPU, pull it all the way out, reinsert it, lock it down, clean it and put some fresh thermal grease on it, put the heat sink / fan back on and fire it up. Still failing? Swap in a known good compatible video board. That will at least tell you without a doubt if the main board / bus is working. If that fails replace main board / CPU.

--Dave
                    (To put your mind at ease, I have the following certifications... MCP, RHCSA, Linux+, Network+, and A+, I do this all day long for a living...)

Comment

Originally posted by Speedbump View Post
                      I agree, you probably nuked your processor. That fan is what keeps them cool and they don't like a lot of heat.

I left one on early this year on my workbench overnight and in the morning the computer had shut off. Or so I thought. The fan quit working on the processor and that was all it needed to finish it off.
                      Most modern BIOS' support a thermal high / CPU fan rpm low automatic shut down. Read your main board owners manual and make sure that the values are set at sensible thresholds. (And by modern I mean since about 1995!)

Comment

computers first come out in 1995!

Comment

computers first come out in 1995!
                          You must not remember the Commodore 64 and the Radio Shack Trash 80.

Comment

but I do remember them. I had an atari game. but what Iwas refering to was something with internet gateway and/or the ability to retrieve information. the library of congress was the first to have access. my rad shack 'puter had a 2400 baud modem and a 106 mb hard drive.

Comment

Hard Drive??? Mine used my cassette tape recorder. It wasn't much I have to admit that.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              =