Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I in going in the right direction/bathroom

My bathroom walls are a mess. I have large areas of cracked and peeling paint. My plan is to scrape all of the loose area and get as much off as I can. This goes all the way to the drywall. After the loose pieces are scraped I'm going to use patch plaster to even out the edges. Then sand a little to smooth everything out. Then wash all walls with water to remove any residues. Then Kilz 2 to prime the walls and a semi-gloss to paint. Is this a good plan, will it work?

Be very careful washing the walls down after you have applied drywall compound, after you have sanded the entire area, your better off vacuuming the walls of any dust. The Kilz as a primer is an ideal idea as it acts as a vapor barrier and will help stop any penetration of moisture past the paint. I wouldn't recommend the semi gloss as a final coat though, the problem with the semi gloss is that it WILL show any and ALL wall defects, so if your not perfect on your wall repairs you will see them with semi gloss. In my opinion you would be better of with a satin or an eggshell.
    In the past semi gloss was used in kitchens and bathrooms simply because it was easy clean and moisture resistant, if you apply Kilz or Zinsser as your primer then you are in fact adding the moisture barrier.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Thank you

Thank you for such a quick reply and advice. It's good to know I'm headed in the right direction. Obviously I need reassurace seeing as how I've practically destroyed my bathroom walls.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =