Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JENN-AIR RANGE wiring snafu?

i recently purchased an older, used Jenn-Air gas-electric range. The selling couple had updated all of their kitchen appliances and the range and fridge came home with me, both appearing in to be in top condition.

There was no plug attached when I took delivery on the range, although the wiring area was clearly divided into red, white, green and bare (ground) wires.

Since my current home kitchen wiring is set up with a legacy "3-prong" 220v outlet, I consulted with a handyman who advised me on the following wiring strategy: coming from the new 3-prong cord (to be attached) he told me that the critical step was to attach the "middle" cord wire to the "middle" range contact and that the remaining two wires could be attached to either remaining contacts in the wiring box wire, right or left.

I proceeded as told and and when tested, the oven and timer and appeared to operate. With further testing, HOWEVER, I found that the top gas burners will not light with the built-in igniters (I have checked and clean them to confirm they are properly working) and the stove will not come up to temp (hardly above warm, actually- i've checked this with an oven thermometer). HOWEVER, the convection oven and broiler appear to both operate correctly at all temps.

Could the above described wiring result in these malfunctions? Can this unit be used with a "3-prong" outlet, or must I rewire the kitchen?

Note: I have talked to the sellers about these problems and have no reason to suspect them.

UPDATE: the model number of this JENN-AIR unit is SEG196B

here is a photo of the actual setup i've described: flickr.com/photos/geff/sets/72157622729403190/

Thanks for any help or suggestions you can offer me!
    Last edited by bongo_geff; 11-05-2009, 09:35 AM.

the configuration is almost correct. new four wire is connected black to outside terminal, red other outside terminal, white to middle terminal and green to other middle terminal. but because you have a three wire pigtail, connect as follows: black outside terminal, red other outside terminal, white - together with the green and install a jumper to a chassis ground point. the wire will probably be colored green within the pigtail.

Comment

Electric range

look at this diagram - will give you some idea of where and what to connect.

Comment

I just checked the jenn air site - a combination gas - electric range is not a 240 range. input electric is 120 volt. you said you had a red - white - green. In that case the red goes to a 120 volt hot, the white is neutral and green is earth ground [green screw] on the plug.

Comment

excellent input

hi and thank you so much for helping out with a suggestion as to how this may work. one question" when you refer to a "jumper", i presume you speak of a wire jumping from one contact to another, correct?

here is an actual photo of the wiring setup i've described (you can click on on the photo to enlarge it for more detail)

flickr.com/photos/geff/sets/72157622729403190/

Comment

jenn air range

your picture shows 240 volt wiring - see what I wrote on the photo

Comment

that flat cable connector your pix shows isn't meant to keep the wire from sliding into the appliance, it is supposed to keep the wire from moving out of the range. you have pictured one-half of a ninety degree elbow fitting. this fitting should be removed. the ears of the flat cable connector go inside the wiring box, the cable slips into the connector. the two screws tighten on the cable. the rest of the connections are just as you have them connected [only exception is there's no jumper between the center and green ground] which there should be.

Comment

excellent - thanks for all your help. I'll try this new config as soon as I'm able and let you know how it works! thanks again -geff

Comment

thanks x 2!!!

HayZee518 - that did the trick!!! thanks from me and my wife for taking the time to sort out what has been a real puzzle (and a pain) for us.

you rule! - geff

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =