Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

dont' want swtch contrld. outlets.. help please.

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dont' want swtch contrld. outlets.. help please.

Hi all, this is my first post here!

I have a small home office where the outlets are connected to a switch. However, I want them to just be permanently on. Now, I'm a total amateaur, but I'm not uncomfortable trying stuff. (I have a multimeter if necessary). I have attached a picture with what I have discovered thus far. I don't really know where to go from here. In the picture, the colors of the wires are the way that I see them in real life. please let me know if you can help at all.

thanks!

-Z

does the switch that controls the outlets do anything else? if not then all you have to do is take the switch out and wire nut the two wires going to it together and then put a blank plate over the box where the switch was. for connecting the wires i use

http://www.wago.com/web/us/pdf/wall.pdf but regular wirenuts will work too

nate

Comment

Well, Ideally, I'd like to leave one of the 2 sockets (in each outlet) attached to the switch b/c I have no overhead lights in that room. I'd like the other to have constant power.

I have redrawn my diagram and included some additional information to hopefully make it more clear.

does this help more?

thanks,

-Z

Comment

*bump*

anyone else?

-Z

Comment

Love the diagrams, zskillz! Unfortunately what you are hoping to do is fairly complicated. In fact, I am not really sure that you can have two different power sources going to the same outlet. Sounds like it could be dangerous.

Can you get to the outlets to run new wires to them? It looks like none of these wires in your diagram carries constant power, they are all switched.

Your best bet might be to just install some new outlets in the room that have constant power.

Comment

what you would have to do is have a hot wire in the box that is not switched and one that is plus your neutrals. the white wires can go on the side they should and the switched wire on one screw of the hot side and the constant hot on the other screw. BUT the trick to it is to break off the tab that connects the two screws then one outlet would be switched and the other will not, then just run another set of the same wires to the other receptical and hook it up the same. and also how do you only have 2 white wires and nothing else going to outlet 3 but it is working fine? it has to have power from somewhere. check it all out and make sure

nate

Comment

thank you all so much! I really do appreciate the responses. Apparently this is going to be more complicated than I had hoped. I'll take another look and then perhaps call an electrician. Either way, I do appreciate the help!

-Z

-Z

Comment

i know a good electric company j/k

nate

edit--- cool when did i become a handyman? whats the next step?

Comment

Currently:
                  0-9 posts: new member
                  10-19 posts: handyman
                  20-49 posts: master handyman
                  50-99 posts: apprentice
                  100-199 posts: journeyman
                  200+ posts: master journeyman

That is how it currently stands. Any suggestions for improvements?

Try

Comment

once again... thank's all for the help. Unfortunately, I'm going to be so busy with work for the next couple of weeks, that this project will just have to be put on hold!

thanks

-Z

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    =