Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cost to fix support beam in basement?

I have a 2-story house, built 1917. In the process of trying to sell it, the prospective buyer's inspector noted that the horizontal support beam in the basement has moved about 8 inches, also causing the vertical beam to tilt some as well. We will be getting a contractor out to give us a cost estimate, but can anyone here give us a ballpark figure? The beams are very accessible in the basement, so no walls would need to be removed to access it. There are no other structural issues with the house that has been caused by this movement. Please help! We want to sell the house, but are obviously very concerned with the news we received.

Darrell: Without seeing what is actually happening to this beam ,it would be foolish to give even a "ballpark" figure. The best approach would be to get 3 different contractors estimates and decide. This way you can determine whether your getting a fair competetive price. Remember the old saying...."Shop Around" ,well this is where you use it. Good luck. Hube

Comment

Okay, here's the latest. I need big help. I did more visual inspection, and the beam had not moved. I had my realtor and the inspector back out to verify this. The inspector did acknowledge that he made a mistake!!! There is no movement in the beams. He made an amendment to his report. However, our realtor says he has to disclose the information on any other offers we get. This is ludicrous! We had buyers today who were ready to make an offer until our realtor told them what happened. Even though an obvious mistake was made, our realtor says he has to disclose this erroneous information.
      What can we do? The inspector was wrong, and he says he was. Why does this information have to be disclosed? Is there any legal action we can take? We lost the last offer, and now a potential offer, because of this mistake.

This was an astronomical mistake that cost us not only the sale of our house (and any potential offers if our realtor continues to disclose this information) but a house on which we had made an offer.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

Why not call the Real Estate Board in YOUR immediate area and get "first hand" info on this method of diclosing something that now does not exist?.Also, try and get the Inspector to give a legal "Retraction" Affidavit that would satisfy any future would-be buyers. After all, it was his GOOF-UP in the first place.

Comment

Darrell,
          As a home inspector I can't imagine making this kind of error. I also can't imagine there being "no other structural issues" with the house IF there were 8 inches of movement.

Having said that I would ask the inspector to contact their client and explain his error in judgement to them. This inspectors entire report is now suspect. If your prospect(s) is still even mildly interested ask them to select another inspector or structural engineer and offer to pay for it or split the cost.

Home inspections are about discovering the truth.

Helping you come home.
          Newnan Georgia home inspectors and Thorough Inspections realizes that the purchase of a home is probably the largest and most exciting investment you will ever make. It is difficult to remove any emotional attachment you may have for a home due to it's location, style, setting, etc. A home inspection will help you learn as much as you can about the property you are considering buying in an effort to help you make a more informed decision as a buyer.

Comment

Well, this has finished. Thanks for all the advice.

I'd like clarify some answers to the questions all of you had.

First, the beam was installed out of plumb. Old paneling installed by the previous owners was causing the beam to appear bowed - when in fact, it was just the paneling - installed as best as they could, I suppose, along this beam that was out of plumb. The vertical posts were also installed slightly offset, to match the beam. One vertical beam appeared to tip slightly because it was relatively near to a floor drain - in that area of the floor, the floor slopes slightly, giving an appearance that the vertical beam is not vertical. So the inspector made the assumption based on these visual indicators, instead of using a measuring tape, which I used.

I had initially turned down an offer on the house based on the price, and accepted a 2nd better offer. The 2nd buyer knew there were some basic electrical and plumbing upgrades, and was fine with that. However, when their inspection (the erroneous one) came back basically stating that the structural integrity of the house was in jeopardy, they backed out. I eventually went back to the first offer, and got it back.

In summary - the offer I did take was $20K less than the one whose buyers backed out. I am going to consult a real estate lawyer for advice. I believe the inspector's mistake cost us that 2nd offer - perhaps not the entire $20K, but they made their offer knowing the house needed basic work, but left thinking the house was falling apart.

I will keep you posted - thanks for all the great advice.

Darrell

Comment

Working...
            X
            =