Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toilet troubles

I'm having several problems with a toilet. The tank fills continuosly unless you jiggle the handle. Then it makes a "breathing" sound - in the tank. I've looked in there and seen bubbles along side the pipe that sends the water into the tank. Now it has also overflowed when clogged. In the past if it clogged the water level woudn't get high enough in the bowl and you could just plunge it. This time it got too high and overflowed.

ok, jiggling the handle doesn't have anything to do with the fill valve. any clog would be in the internal trap of the toilet. if plunging with a "plumber's helper" wouldn't free it, then use a closet auger to remove the blockage.

Comment

Sounds like 2 problems a clogged toilet and a leaking flapper.
      I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
      Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
      Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
      Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

well how bout some solutions instead of just observations REDWOOD!

Comment

Sure now that you ask...

After you have taken care of the clog using the methods prescribed in HayZee's post...

Replace the leaking flapper...

Obviously....
          Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe

Comment

So the leaking flapper would cause the "breathing?" I suspected it might. I will change it and see. Thanks!

Comment

You need to relax HayZee

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
              well how bout some solutions instead of just observations REDWOOD!
              This is exactly why I don't respond to much on here! This god attitude from a retired electrician who thinks he knows everything about everything. Personally I wouldn't take your advise with anything with some of your responses you have given on here, And surely nothing to do with plumbing.

Comment

you want to pick a bone with me do it in private! check out user responses in the monitor heater forum sub directory. 91 posts of yours to my 5200+ top that!

Comment

The flapper is in and seems to have solved the problem. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by KSever View Post
                    This is exactly why I don't respond to much on here! This god attitude from a retired electrician who thinks he knows everything about everything. Personally I wouldn't take your advise with anything with some of your responses you have given on here, And surely nothing to do with plumbing.
                    K-Sever i don't worry too much about being a forum heavyweight here...
                    Redwood is a Plumbing Forum Heavyweight!
                    Plumbing dot com 19,022 posts
                    Terry Love's........ 6,221 posts
                    plumbing zone...... 2,251 posts
                    Mike Holmes......... 1,033 posts
                    house talk........... 262 posts
                    home repair......... 183 posts
                    Ridgid................. 109 posts

Call it a nice round 29,081 posts in some really big forums...
                    Plus some that are in defunct or, extinct forums....
                    I just come by here to make sure the advice doesn't get to far out of line....
                    Now I can Plumb!

Comment

Is there a competition going on that i wasn't aware of ?

sheeeeesh
                      Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
                      Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Not really in my mind...
                        I just figured the second problem of the leaking flapper should be brought up...
                        The solution to a leaking flapper in most cases is self evident not deserving a sarcastic antagonistic answer...
                        I believe that's the point KServer was making...

That's a behavior that can limit the growth and usefulness of a forum...

If someone wants to throw in 5200 posts and say that's a entitlement to bad behavior then why not engage in "Peace Through Superior Firepower."
                        Now I can Plumb!

Comment

Snarkey posts....

More than once a recent new-comer has offered help, commented on or replied to posts and posters in a pretty snarkey way. It's been deteriorating now for more than a few months. I would like this to return to the pleasant and helpful forum it was. We all have talents to offer. Some at 5k, some at 29k some are just general, but all are good contributors that should remember who they are helping. Most asking for help here are not in your league and may require more than a simple suggestion of what might be a problem, without being condescending. Offer the helpful solution in addition to the suggestions of problems to the ill-informed.

Thanks for your understanding and expert help.....

Comment

I started this site in 2002 with a goal of learning how websites like this work and creating a place where people could help each other. I know we have an ad or two, but trust me when I say that the costs and efforts far outweigh any monetary income.

I want everyone to realize how much I appreciate all the help and advice you all give
                            . There are many thousands of people over the years who have fixed something themselves, saved money, stayed out of harms way, build something and myriads of other things that this forum and it's members have helped them do.

It is hard to express oneself with words on a forum sometimes. Things come out the wrong way, intonation is lost, all sort of barriers in communication that can be taken out of context. And sometimes we just say the wrong thing, the right thing at the wrong time etc and it is forever saved in a public forum. I think that all the advice here comes from the right place, and people are genuinely trying to help.

Everyone needs to cut each other a little slack. Some of us on here have to deal with a lot of crap, spammers, all sorts of things that we monitor and deal with on a daily basis. Sometimes it gets a little tiring. So please let's focus on appreciating what people are doing and "return to the pleasant and helpful forum it was!"
                            Last edited by Troy; 02-04-2010, 11:45 PM.
                            Try

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            =