Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heater not operating correctly

The heater on my central heat / ac unit is not working correctly and I need help before my wife gets after me again. In the auto mode, nothing happens. In the on position, the heater will come on for awhile, it gets warm in the house. The heater will then stop and only the fan will blow. I have replaced the wall thermostat as well as the batteries. I do remember having a problem with the a/c not cooling properlly, but it started working again if I remember correctly, it did work in both the on and auto position. I just put another wall thermostat on there which came on in the auto mode for a few minutes but shut off aain within 5 minutes. I do not think that my problem is in the wall thermostat. What do I do? Help! My wife is going to make me stay outside with the dog..... It may be warmer out there with him!!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

Frank
    Last edited by fmitchelltx; 12-02-2009, 02:58 PM.

Originally posted by fmitchelltx View Post
    The heater on my central heat / ac unit is not working correctly and I need help before my wife gets after me again. In the auto mode, nothing happens. In the on position, the heater will come on for awhile, it gets warm in the house. The heater will then stop and only the fan will blow. I have replaced the wall thermostat as well as the batteries. I do remember having a problem with the a/c not cooling properlly, but it started working again if I remember correctly, it did work in both the on and auto position. I just put another wall thermostat on there which came on in the auto mode for a few minutes but shut off aain within 5 minutes. I do not think that my problem is in the wall thermostat. What do I do? Help! My wife is going to make me stay outside with the dog..... It may be warmer out there with him!!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

Frank
    I don't know what thermostat you have but on most of them the on and auto
    is to run the blower. Do you have a ( heat off cool ) switch on your thermostat? When you say heater, do you mean furnace or HP. They do make
    thermostats that have a auto changeover from heat to cool. Is that what you have?. paul

Comment

Mine is a furnace not a heat pump. It does have a heat and cool switch. Hope this info answers the question

Thanks!

Comment

If you turn your switch to auto, Turn heat switch on, turn up heat, hit hold, does your furnace
        come on. Wait 6 min.? If it does not come on then go to your furnace and jump from red to white on your low volt post and see if it comes on. If it does then you have a problem in wiring or the thermostat. Check low volt at furnace and
        thermostat to see if you are on the right post, Tell me what post you are on and the color of the wire? Also the tell me the letter of the unused post at the thermostat. If it did not come on when you jump red and white at furnace then the problem is in the furnace, Make sure door switch is made when you try this.
        paul

Comment

Thank you very much for the help. I had to get a repair man out here this morning. As it turns out, the problem was not in the thermostat itself. My wife or one of the kids must have opened the unit at some point in time messing with the A/C probably. They flipped the switch to gas. I have an electric unit. I am just glad to have it working so my wife may let me stay in the house! Thanks again!

Comment

hi,
            i have the same problem, can you tell me where do you find that "switch" to switch back from gas to electric? thank you for your help!

Comment

There is a switch on the front of the unit that goes between gas and electric. Flip this to electric and it should fix your problem. If you can't find it, please let me know, send me a private message, and I will give you my phone number and I will look at mine and walk you through it.

Frank

Comment

got it! thank you so much

Comment

Glad to hear that fixed your problem. I worked on everything else before finding that. Please let me know if you have any other problems. I can fix most things around the house.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =