Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water is leaking underneath the bathtub

Hi,

Every time water is running on the bathtub water used to build up underneath the bathtub (surrounding the overflow tube under the bathtub).

Below what was done so far:
    - Removed the tub drain basket by unscrewing it.
    - Removed all the dirt in the tub drain basket by washing it.
    - Put back the tub drain basket and tightened it, wherein plumber’s putty was put around the tub drain basket (there’s no putty at all initially)

After doing all the above actions, still water is building up underneath the bathtub, although it helps a bit as the flow of water leaking below the bathtub had reduced.

See attached pictures for additional information.

Thanks!

between the tub and the brass drain elbow there should be a rubber gasket. plumber's putty is used between the basket and the tub [for a seal] use a drain wrench to tighten the basket. use of anything might be able to loosen the basket [i.e. two screwdrivers, handles of channel lock pliers etc.] but to tighten the basket a wrench made for the purpose should be used. big box stores have them. the thread on the basket is a straight, not tapered thread.

Comment

Actually it was the plumber himself who did the tightening and he used the right tool (wrench made for this purpose).

Also to make sure that my understanding is correct, see attached picture/diagram wherein I need some clarifications..

Comment

what you have indicated is what's supposed to be there. the drain shoe is the brass elbow I'm talking about. I see the drawing shows a plier tip(s) engaging the basket's openings. while this will work, it will also bugger up the drain openings. a drain wrench fits into all four holes. it might help if you put a little vaseline jelly on the threads of the basket before you tighten everything up. this way there isn't a "dry fit" between the basket and its mating shoe threads.

Comment

Thanks a lot! I'll tell your suggestions to the plumber...

Comment

Tell the suggestions to the plumber ???????? a "plumber" shouldn't need suggestions for a simple repair. Is your plumber a licensed plumber ?
            Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
            Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Yes the plumber is a licensed plumber which was sent by my warranty company (210)..

And the plumber tried it again, wherein after cutting the tub shoe and replacing with a new one, there's no more leak under the tub drain hole but now the leak is in the junction between the tub shoe and the overflow tube (see attached picture).

Comment

from the looks of it he didn't use any adhesive between the overflow tee and the shoe fitting. "Licensed" plumber?? you got to be kidding!

Comment

Ofcourse the plumber put an adhesive (colorless glue), infact he even put first something (liquid thing with maroon color) which according to him it will push the one tube to another tube within the connector.

Comment

Hmmm........new one on me! Maroon color? Maybe a pvc solvent cleaner? As far as "pushing" one tube into the other, pvc solvents dissolve a bit of each fitting/tube then "weld" the joint together as the solvent evaporates. Get some of that "stop a leak" product from off the TV and apply it. A two part epoxy putty.

Comment

What you really need to do is call back the home warranty company and demand that they send a competent plumber to fix the problem!

The problem is most good plumbers have long ago gotten tired of the home warranty companies and told them where to go...

I'll assume your plumber was from a large nationwide company well known for drain cleaning...

How close was I with my guess?
                      I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
                      Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
                      Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
                      Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwood View Post

I'll assume your plumber was from a large nationwide company well known for drain cleaning...

How close was I with my guess?
                        ha ha ha, what do i get if I guess it right, is this for the $1,000,000 case Howie ?

Your right about the plumbers and Home warranty companies, round here almost no one works with them, I had a run in with a HVAC guy at a clients house, he was prepared to leave this 80 odd year old lady without heat because he didn't have the part "on" his truck and he lived 30 miles away and wasn't coming back until the next day. Turns out he's not licensed and his qualifications extend to three years working for another guy. BUT that's all the Home Warranty company could find to work for them.
                        Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
                        Every day is a learning day.

Comment

bathtub problem

Does water flow down the outside of the pipe leading from the overflow?

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          =