Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixing R22 and R410 components

Our R22-based central A/C has a leaky indoor coil. I have received two estimates for repair. One guy said we can replace just the indoor coil with an R410 coil along with a special metering valve so that it can be used with R-22 refrigerant. The other guy said we have to replace both the indoor coil and outdoor coil/compressor unit so that everything is a new R410 system, for about three times the cost.

I know that an R22 compressor can't run with R410 because of the higher R410 pressures. And I know an R-22 system can't be (practically) partially converted to run on R410 refrigerant because of the incompatibility of lubricants in the coils. But if my existing R22 compressor continues to run on R22 refrigerant, and I simply replace the indoor coil with one made for R410 but metered appropriately to run on R22, will this work? Can I replace only the indoor coil and for now stay on R22 refrigerant (I know... R22 refrigerant is phasing out too)?

Thanks for any insights.

Originally posted by motohead View Post
    Our R22-based central A/C has a leaky indoor coil. I have received two estimates for repair. One guy said we can replace just the indoor coil with an R410 coil along with a special metering valve so that it can be used with R-22 refrigerant. The other guy said we have to replace both the indoor coil and outdoor coil/compressor unit so that everything is a new R410 system, for about three times the cost.

I know that an R22 compressor can't run with R410 because of the higher R410 pressures. And I know an R-22 system can't be (practically) partially converted to run on R410 refrigerant because of the incompatibility of lubricants in the coils. But if my existing R22 compressor continues to run on R22 refrigerant, and I simply replace the indoor coil with one made for R410 but metered appropriately to run on R22, will this work? Can I replace only the indoor coil and for now stay on R22 refrigerant (I know... R22 refrigerant is phasing out too)?

Thanks for any insights.
    I believe if you check with the manufacture, i think you will find the you can change the indoor coil, as long
    as you put the right metering valve on it to control the gas flow. If in question call the manufacture. Later paul

Comment

You can use R410 Coil, but you have to change the TXV Valve to R22 TXV and it will work. Now that R22 no longer used HVAC Suppliers carry TXV conversion kits.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =