• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GE dishwasher model # GSD5511LOOWW is not draining the water

My GE dishwasher model # GSD5511LOOWW is not draining the water
    after the cycle.The dishes look clean but the water is sitting in the
    bottom
    of the dishwasher.The drain hose appears without any kinks. When the
    dishwasher runs i hear the motor working.

What should i do to get the water to drain as it should?

If anyone has any answers please email me to tbracko@yahoo.com

GE dishwasher model # GSD5511LOOWW
    I'm afraid I can find no listing for such a model number. Is it in the USA?

water is sitting in the bottom of the dishwasher.The drain hose appears without any kinks.
    Has anyone confirmed it (and the plumbing attachment) is not blocked?

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

3 year old built in GE dishwasher not draining water

This built in dishwasher is 3 years old.

Was purchased at Future shop on December 26, 2006 Edmonton Alberta Canada.

One person that looked at the dishwasher thought the switches in front of the GE dishwasher are not working properly.Switch number 5 does not light up at all and switch number 7 only one of the lights work the rest do not work.I have noticed that switch lights do not light up from one cycle to the next .When i put the dishwasher on. the normal,rinse and start button come lit the rest do not.When the cycle is finished the start button stays on and only sometimes it goes out.

The second person that looked at the dishwasher thought the pump was plugged.He thought a gasket got loose and plugged the pump.He did not do anything further because this dishwater is built in and the space is to tight.

Some opinions only!!!!!!!!!!!but this 3 year old dishwasher is sitting occupying space and still not working.

Your HELP would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Comment

Was purchased at [in] Canada.
        Sorry but I do not have parts lists for Canadian models to look up how they were designed. I'm afraid i do not know what would cause your cycle indicator light problem.

Were any of the "people" you had out a GE (aka, Camco) factory service outlet? They would likely be the best choice to call for service on that product.

He did not do anything further because this dishwater is built in and the space is to tight.
        If that's the case you may first have to remove it from the enclosure for them to service it.

JMO

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.ca

=D~~~~~~

Comment

from fixitnow dot com:

"Model numbers starting with GSD, such as GSD6660G00SS.
          Most “no-pump-out”? issues are solved by cleaning out a plugged air gap, drain hose or disposer. However, on GE dishwashers with a rear filter, “no-pump-out”? may also be caused by a malfunctioning piston and nut assembly, located underneath the rear filter. To save time, effort and repeat service calls, always inspect the piston and nut assembly when diagnosing a “no-pump-out” complaint.
          The piston and nut assembly has an integral check valve, shaped like an umbrella, which closes the collection chamber inlet during pump out. If the check valve is damaged, held open by debris or assembled upside down, water will circulate inside the tub instead of going down the drain. Cleaning a clogged valve or replacing a defective one will solve the problem. This check valve is very inexpensive, especially given that it’s a GE."

This thing is located under a plastic cover at the bottom rear of the tub, accessible from inside the tub. Just unscrew it with your fingers, using the plastic ears. The rubber piece on mine was rotted out.

Comment

The rubber piece on [the piston and nut assembly] was rotted out.
            Glad to hear you found the problem. Thanks for the follow up.

Dan O.
            www.Appliance411.ca

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Piston and Nut assembly was taken out and checked

The cream colored rubber ,shaped like a umbrella was alright.

Please let me know, in the middle of the assembly there was some black stuff i tried to clean it but it was not easy to get everything black from the center.
              I do not know if that was dirt or is there suppose to be a black rubber ring there.After cleaning and examining the Piston & Nut it was installed back and a wash was run. It still did not drain the water.

Please help.

Thank You

Comment

I assume you made sure the piston in that assembly moved up okay. Just behind the wash arm tower is another removable cover. Underneath that is a sump where the water collects before it is pumped out. Check that for any blockage. By the way, I'm assuming that your machine is somewhat similar to mine. Here is a picture of the bottom of a similar machine (not mine). Some machines have two pumps and some have one. The main pump is used for washing and the aux pump is used for rinse & hold and pumpout. In the picture, the large white plastic part in the center is the main pump, and the smaller white plastic part to the right of the check valve body is the aux pump. If you remove the kick panels and lie on the floor, you should be able to see this stuff. Look around also for a folded sheet of paper tucked up under the sheet metal somewhere. This is a troubleshooting document that is supposed to be on all GE dishwashers. Look on this website GE Parts: GE GSD43, GE GSD50, GE GSD55, GE GSD64, GE GSD75 for a diagram of a machine that might be similar to yours.

Comment

I assume you made sure the piston in that assembly moved up okay
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

YES the assembly moved okay.

However i was not able to clean all the black stuff from the middle of this assembly it was deep inside.Do you have any suggestions.

Is there suppose to be anything in the middle of the piston nut assembly besides dirt from using the dishwasher for 3 years.Like a black o ring.?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++

Just behind the wash arm tower is another removable cover. Underneath that is a sump where the water collects before it is pumped out. Check that for any blockage.
                  -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes this was checked and cleaned.
                  ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++

If you remove the kick panels and lie on the floor, you should be able to see this stuff. Look around also for a folded sheet of paper tucked up under the sheet metal somewhere. This is a troubleshooting document that is supposed to be on all GE dishwashers. Look on this website
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Thank you, for the picture and the website.

I found the green folded sheet of paper under the machine .

When i went through the troubleshooting on the dishwasher keypad i found
                  that the keypad number 5 and 9 did not light up.

Keypad 5--activates main pump.

Keypad 9 -
                  Activates Auxiliary pump and
                  Activates Drain Solenoid

In fact, when the dishwasher is put through the wash cycle the only key pads that light up are the normal and start keypads.

As the cycle is going through the wash none other pads seem to light up to let me know which cycle the machine is on.Is this the way this machine should operate?

Hopefully all the above, will solve what the repair is needed to get this dishwasher working .

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Comment

I can only generalize about this, as we have different models. No, there shouldn't be any black stuff inside the piston assembly. I don't remember if there is an O-ring where the piston assembly screws in. There is a flapper valve on the discharge port of the chamber where the discharge hose is attached. Have you checked the hose (and air gap if you have one) for blockage? The chamber is supposed to collect crud which drains down the back wall of the tub; then it is pumped out during the drain cycle.
                    My machine has a vertical row of 5 LEDs on the left side of the control panel which light up as the machine progresses through the different wash & rinse sub-cycles. The keys themselves only light up when that particular overall cycle is chosen by pressing the key. There are keys for Regular, Rinse & Hold, Pots & Pans, etc.
                    Even though the 5 and 9 keys did not light up, could you hear the motor(s) running during the testing? The drain solenoid should make a loud clunk when activated.

Comment

Even though the 5 and 9 keys did not light up, could you hear the motor(s) running du

Yes i heard the loud clunk, motor running, as well as water going through a eight inch white plastic drain hose but no water ever going through the longer drain hose that is connected to the drain pipe under the sink.I do not have air gap,because there is no garbage disposal under the sink.The long drain hose was checked and some very small black specks were floating in the water.in fact the last load that was done the water that did not drain there were some very small black specks floating on top of the water.

Thanks for trying to help.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      =