X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frigidaire Front Load Washer GLTF1040AS0 Final Spin Cycle Problem

Model Number: GLTF1040AS0
    Brand: Frigidaire

Recently the washing machine has been making a lot of noise and vibrating violently during the "final spin" cycle. The washing machine acts normal during the wash cycle and the drain cycles. Only when it get to the "Final Spin" cycle when the machine normally spins faster has it recently been acting up. The washing machine vibrates so hard that it seems like the machine will break if I do not shut it down. If the move the cycle knob just past the Final Spin cycle and the machine slows the spin cycle down does the machine stop vibrating. Does anyone know what I need to do to fix this problem? Thanks

Any changes in location?

Has the machine been in the same location the whole time you've been using it without problems? No change in the flooring it is on?

Has anyone inspected the legs to insure they're still set properly and the leg locking nuts are tight up against the cabinet?

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

The Washing machine was moved to another room and the legs height were adjusted to touch the floor in the new room. A few days later we moved it back to the original location without changing the leg heights back. Do I need to get a level and level the machine?

Comment

I leveled the machine and tested it, the noise and banging has gone down but is still happening and I am not sure if this always happened but it occurs in all of the spin cycles now, where the machine spins fastest. I opened up the back of the machine to see what was going on during the spin cycle and nothing looks too bad. The shocks on the bottom and the springs on the top look good but there is still a kind of banging sound but the machine is not hitting the sides and while feeling the front of the machine it does not feel like it is hitting the front. Anyone know what might be the problem? thanks

Comment

Problems after moving it

The Washing machine was moved to another room... A few days later we moved it back
          That probably would have been good to mention at the start.

moved it back to the original location without changing the leg heights back.
          That could have been the cause of the vibrations and/or it could have caused actual damage to the machine.

I leveled the machine
          The legs need to be kept screwed into the cabinet as much as possible. Being out too far can lead to the washer being unstable. The leg locking nuts must also be tightened up against the cabinet to lock the legs in place.

the noise and banging has gone down but is still happening
          If the legs and flooring are not the cause, there may (now?) be a problem with the washer's internal suspension which will need looking into.

Do NOT continue to use the machine if vibrating or unusually noisy on spin or damage can be done to the machine making it more costly to repair.

The shocks on the bottom and the springs on the top look good
          I wouldn't expect a visual inspection would tell you much except after a catastrophic failure of one of the components. A visible failure of those components is much less common than them just wearing out and failing to operate to the manufacturer's tolerances.

If the machine is level and its legs are set up properly and it is still producing excessive vibration or sounds on spin, I suggest you discontinue use until it can be looked into by a professional.

JMO

Dan O.
          www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Same Problem.

I have the same brand & model and I'm having the same problem. I replaced the shocks which didn't solve it. Grab the inner tub and see if it wobbles up/down and/or side to side. Like it's off the center axis. Do you hear some grinding or scraping of metal on metal? I did some online research and found out that this is an issue with the inner drum support spindle(spider arms). It's made of aluminum which corrodes and breaks. They don't sell the support spindle separately. You have to buy the whole inner tub assembly and it's expensive($200+). The outer tub may also be damaged. Add labor costs and your close to the price of a new unit. If you're mechanically inclined and have room to work you could take it apart, assess the damage and make the repairs yourself. It is not an easy job. There's a Youtube video of the issue I'm talking about. I can't post the link b/c I'm a new forum member. Go to Youtube and look up "Frigidaire Sucks" by dotcom777.

Comment

Originally posted by 3FLi View Post
              Model Number: GLTF1040AS0
              Brand: Frigidaire

Recently the washing machine has been making a lot of noise and vibrating violently during the "final spin" cycle. The washing machine acts normal during the wash cycle and the drain cycles. Only when it get to the "Final Spin" cycle when the machine normally spins faster has it recently been acting up. The washing machine vibrates so hard that it seems like the machine will break if I do not shut it down. If the move the cycle knob just past the Final Spin cycle and the machine slows the spin cycle down does the machine stop vibrating. Does anyone know what I need to do to fix this problem? Thanks
              If it sounds like there is rocks rolling around also,the problem is most likely the rear bearing.You'll have to buy the outer plastic shell,but the inner stainless tub is warrantied by Maytag for 20yrs.You'll need the serial number when you order these parts.I had the same issue last year.Only takes a couple hours to replace.Remove the top when taking the drum out and it will be much easier (much less swearing involved also,I found out the hard way.Hope this helps you out.

Comment

Frigidaire NOT Maytag

the inner stainless tub is warrantied by Maytag
                Maytag has nothing to do with Frigidaire appliances. It would be Frigidaire (aka Electrolux) that warranted the parts.

Also, if the machine was sold by Sears, I do not believe those units have the extended warranty on the stainless steel tub. Check the warranty papers that came with the machine. Plus, the replacement inner tub may only be supplied to an authorized service depot performing the work and not directly to the customer.

JFYI

Dan O.
                www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                X
                =