Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Technics Amp power isue

Hi i have an ould technics SU-V97 amp and it was hit in a litning storm. when i turn the amp on it stays on stand by and will not power up. I pulled it apart and found a burnt resistor so i repaired the board and replaced the resistor but it still stays on stand by when turned on. im looking for any opinions and testing procedures.

Thanks
    Greg

Lightning can be nasty to electronics. Depending on where it entered the unit would determine how severe the damage is however you can expect a lot more than a burnt resistor. The most sensitive components would be the output transistors or IC's.

I will assume that you've searched for blown fuses. There are several internal as well as the main fuse. If they're all good, you're probably looking at severe damage elsewhere in the power/signal path. Unless you're really attached to this particular amp, I suggest that you look at replacement rather than repair. You might even be able to find one on ebay for less than the cost to repair yours. I hope this helps!

Comment

yeps! i agree with burstboy, lightning can be lethal to electronics, what can happen sometimes is the electricity substation can be struck and send the significant rise in electricity to all your equipment plugged into the mains supply. this causes a gross overload very very briefly to your equipment im assuming your supply volts are 110v? (not like ours over here 240v) and on your secondary of your mains transformer going into your amp it may be say 30-0-30. if the voltage rises higher than 110v say for aguments sake 220v then your output from your secondary winding on your transformer would rise to 60-0-60 which would be devastating, as we all know lightning is quite a few more volts than this........... my advice check your power supply and output chip.

peter

Comment

Working...
      X
      =