Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• texturing

Hi all,
    I'm interested in texturing a sheetrocked wall that have several layers of paint on it. I'm just curious to know if the mud (I believe it's just joint compound) will stick to the paint. Thanks.

Nightvision,

I would clean the wall with TSP first. If it is a gloss paint now I would apply a primer over it to give the compound something to stick to. Otherwise it should be okay the texture over the current paint.

Good luck, Jim

'Just a handyman trying to help'
    'Just a handyman trying to help'

Comment

Nightvision,
      We removed wallpaper from our kitchen and took a bunch of plaster along with it and was left no choice but to do the same thing you are talking about. We used joint compound and troweled it on, then primed and painted over it, looks great!

Laura

Comment

I did the same thing with my bathroom--cleaned the walls with TSP, textured it with joint compound, primed and painted it. I used high gloss enamel around the areas most likely to get moisture. It looks very good and is holding up.

Comment

What should someone pay for wallpaper application

Comment

Tricia, the price varies as to what kind of wallpaper is being installed. Also, I bet the price differs in what part of the country you are in. When I was in the wallpaper business, pre-pasted cost from $10>$14 a single roll to install. Grass-cloth, european wallpaper and some others would cost about $20 a single roll. That was a few years ago and some probably charge by the square foot, but that is mainly for 54'. I hope that helps.

Todd

Comment

Todd, I lucked out on the wallpaper application. A Lady I work for does a lot of fixer upper jobs. She said she will do this for a very small fee. I figured about 10 per single roll, I live in Alabama . Some try to charge more. Thanks anyway, I just love this site,because I am always either doing wallpaper or painting , sometimes I have questions .

Comment

I was about to put joint compound on my kitchen walls, that already have a nice but too busy patterned wallpaper. I knew that look would be pretty, however if I ever wanted to sell this house there may be a problem. So I decided to useborder adhesive on top of my BATHROOM wallpaper, It works like a charm, it isnot going anywhere either because the stuff sets up like cement, the stucco look is still my favorite , I am just too chicken to do it!

Comment

Working...
                X
                =