Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wiring

I already have a 14gauge 15amp light circuit (7 cfl lights) .Am running it 15 ft uf to detatched shed (no other wire nearby).How many plugs can be added to circuit (was going to do 3 and 2 cfl lights)?

I wasnt needing it for heavy use or appliances ,but may want to use (seperately)13a saw ,. garage door opener-1/3 HP ocasionally,maybe a simple vaccum,from time to time.
    As long as i use these plugs seperately do you see any trouble with continuing the 14 i already have right there ?
    Any info is appreciated

The 14 could run more lights but for other loads, even intermittently, I'm sure it will blow the breaker. just about any shop tool will draw ATLEAST 6-10 amps. A skil saw draws about 9 amps by itself. A shop-vac draws about 12 amps.

Comment

12/2

I will go a little further then and link into the 20 amp (Gfi in breaker)-already used for bath, and run 12/2 to the outlets. I may leave lighting on the 14/2.
      What is the max outlets i can have on a 20 amp and will i need an additional Gfi -outlet form- in building?

Comment

sorry to burst your bubble but there can be no other loads on a bath gfci circuit.

Comment

then why is the outside outlet already in that circuit if its bath only?

Comment

the person that wired it wasn't following the code. many homeowners find that out AFTER the fact. I find a lot of mixed wiring like a 14 ga wire connected to a 12 ga circuit. the 12 ga circuit is fused with a 20 amp breaker and the 14 ga downstream of it is also 20 amp when the wire is only rated for 15 amp. Great potential for a fire but they don't know about it. they say "hey! it works!"
            be safe run a dedicated 12 ga UF cable to your garage and terminated it with a gfci.

Comment

done

I tapped off of a different 20 amp -not kitchen or bath,non dedicated and not many outlets on it.I will transfer a few off it also.
              Whats the max on outlets?

Comment

rule of thumb is no more than 180va per outlet. that works out to 1.5 amps per outlet. no more than 12 on a circuit.

Comment

Originally posted by hidden 1 View Post
                  I tapped off of a different 20 amp -not kitchen or bath,non dedicated and not many outlets on it.I will transfer a few off it also.
                  Whats the max on outlets?
                  In the US, there is no limit on the number of outlets for a dwelling, although 12-16 is a good rule of thumb (local regulations may say otherwise).

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =