Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TREX type deck boards?

Does anyone have any comments on TREX type decking?

Just wondering how happy you are with it afterwards?

I like it, I've built three big decks (one is 1100 sq. feet with a sunken hot tub) for clients that insisted on Trex decking. It's flexible and dimensionally stable which is a plus. It's expensive so measure twice cut once otherwise wastage from errors is expensive.
    DO NOT believe any hype about maintenance free, no deck or exterior product is maintenance free, Trex will get moldy if exposed to the same environment as wood that gets moldy.
    A once a year light cleaning is always recommended.

Now, having spoken about Trex brand, there are other brands out there that IMO are just as good and a little less in cost. I'm a fan of hidden fasteners as opposed to deck face screws.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Thanks for the info!

Comment

Trex Decking

I sol and installed Trex exclusively through my Marine construction company. It is a great product, and you can do some amazing custom work with it. However. It tends to fade rather quickly. If you are OK with this, no big deal. Have a rep show you the color it will fade to and pick based on the faded color.

Thanks,

Consultsteve

Comment

pushkins,

Could you please mention the other brands that are less expensive and as good as Trex. One of my projects for this summer ids to replace my old deck with new composite. Thanks.

Comment

These are not in any order just off the top of my head.
            Timber tech, AZEK, Correctdeck CX. Like I previously mentioned I personally prefer hidden fasteners but they will cost you more. I only ever use S/S screws on composite material.

For your own personal knowledge look up Consumer reports they did a full test run on composites not all that long ago (8 months ish ).

Shop around a small difference in price can make a big difference on the finished job when buying by the lineal foot.
            Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
            Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Pushkins,

Thanks much for your fast response.

Comment

Originally posted by pushkins View Post
                I like it, I've built three big decks (one is 1100 sq. feet with a sunken hot tub) for clients that insisted on Trex decking. It's flexible and dimensionally stable which is a plus. It's expensive so measure twice cut once otherwise wastage from errors is expensive.
                DO NOT believe any hype about maintenance free, no deck or exterior product is maintenance free, Trex will get moldy if exposed to the same environment as wood that gets moldy.
                A once a year light cleaning is always recommended.

Now, having spoken about Trex brand, there are other brands out there that IMO are just as good and a little less in cost. I'm a fan of hidden fasteners as opposed to deck face screws.
                I have a deck about 5 years old with the older Trex on it and it's starting to show some dark spots. The new Trex Transcend has a plastic shell on it, and is not supposed to stain or fade. Have you used it yet?

Comment

Working...
                X
                =