Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I crazy

Someone backed into the brick column between my garages and I had it "repaired", brick and everything... but check out the link below to see what kind of job they did. I am newbie when it comes to home repair and so I was hoping any brick or home repair expert could tell me if what I got was a bum job before I called and complained... Thanks for your help or advice in advance...

picasaweb.google.com/maarkyu/Fix02#

The mortar color isn't all that unusual especially since you said it was done recently, with all this cold weather it will take longer for the mortar to dry out enough to change color, even though it is set and structurally sound.
    Regardless it is very difficult to color match exact mortars, the sand color supplied to the original bricklayers can/probably is different, slight changes in ratios of cement to sand to water also will give a different hue.

Wood siding should never touch concrete paths or slabs, this stops the wood wicking moisture.

The garage door jam should be filled to the brickwork, it would be as simple as getting some "Mortar repair" in a tube from Lowe's/HD and filling in the void.

As for the chipped bricks, it's not uncommon to try to recycle bricks in this instance, 1 it keeps the job cost down and 2 (most important) it guarantees a color brick match.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

what about the gaps in the mortar between the wood and the brick? Shouldn't it be caulked like the original, un-repaired side?

Comment

Originally posted by pushkins View Post

The garage door jam should be filled to the brickwork, it would be as simple as getting some "Mortar repair" in a tube from Lowe's/HD and filling in the void.
        As mentioned, yes the door jam (wood) to brick should be sealed, it is usually done when installing the door jam and trim, see above for the solution.
        Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
        Every day is a learning day.

Comment

but why do I have to do that, I supposedly paid a professional to do the reapir work for me... Should I be expected to go to HD and fix it myself?

Comment

If you are disatisfied with your contractor because you had to find a fix, call him back and have him fix it! show him what is suggested here, if he'll do the job, great! otherwise either you'll be taking him to court or doing the fix yourself.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =