Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pex Sizing/Placement floor heating

I’m building my “dream shop” attached to my current garage and after discussing the slab with my concrete guy yesterday decided to go with a radiant floor system. The work will be on me and what I really need to know is how much pex and what size I need to lay out. From what I understand it’s one line heating six inches either side so one linear foot per square foot of slab? Also I will have one section, 4x24’ that will be completely covered with lathes, big lathes. Does it make sense to heat under these five tons of machinery? I do know to insulate the slab and frost wall and we will be using wire mesh so I can tie directly to it. Is 5/8” pex or 3/4” standard? I will most likely use glycol as I have a local, free, source and my slab with be 23’x27’. Thanks to anyone who can give me some answers. Earl.

Originally posted by Bigearl67 View Post
    I’m building my “dream shop” attached to my current garage and after discussing the slab with my concrete guy yesterday decided to go with a radiant floor system. The work will be on me and what I really need to know is how much pex and what size I need to lay out. From what I understand it’s one line heating six inches either side so one linear foot per square foot of slab? Also I will have one section, 4x24’ that will be completely covered with lathes, big lathes. Does it make sense to heat under these five tons of machinery? I do know to insulate the slab and frost wall and we will be using wire mesh so I can tie directly to it. Is 5/8” pex or 3/4” standard? I will most likely use glycol as I have a local, free, source and my slab with be 23’x27’. Thanks to anyone who can give me some answers. Earl.
    If you go to a heating wholesale house they can have it engineered for free.
    around the edges your pipes will be closer together then they are in the center of the area. later Paul

Comment

PEX sizing...

I would run the PEX without regard to machinery placement. The future may call for a change, and you'll be there. Also, it's just plain easier to run the PEX in a square floor area rather than squirrel it around machinery placements. Once the machine acclimates with the PEX heat, it will bleed off to the air. If it were left on the 'cooler' floor it may instead draw heat from the surrounding air making that area feel cooler. I am jealous, by the way. Wish I had that in my shop. I did install it in the up and down stairs bathrooms in the house. Very nice, indeed!

Comment

I do have an area that will always be covered with lathes but what you are saying is I should just heat the bottom of the machines and use them as a thermal mass to help heat the room. Humm......... makes sence to me. thanks a bunch for the advice.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =