Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ge dual wave ii microwave system

Hey Everyone!

I have a GE Dual Wave II Microwave System. It is an in wall microwave and oven unit. The problems that I've been having have just been going on for about 2 days. The first day the microwave the microwave seemed normal( normal sound, light, timer) but no heat.... after trying 2 to 3 times it would heat up and then die again. The second day after trying to heat an item it worked but the problem was i placed a cup of water in the microwave and hit 2 seconds and the water was scalding hot. Then i left the door closed and the a strange fan sound started by itself ... so i opened the door the lights came on the inside walls were hot. Something kinda smelled like it was burning...so i switched it off and took off the screws and disconnected all the cables in the back of the unit.

Please let me know if you have any ideas. I know the unit is old but its an expensive thing to replace.... Would it be better to replace it or try and repair it. I really really appreciate your help.
    Thanks

GE Dual Wave II Microwave System
    That is not enough information to identify the appliance in question. What is needed is its exact model number.

after trying 2 to 3 times it would heat up and then die again.
    That might be caused by a thermal protector opening up due to overheating of one of the internal components. It might also be caused by an actual failure of one of the cooking components or maybe even the electronic control board failing.

i placed a cup of water in the microwave and hit 2 seconds and the water was scalding hot.
    In two seconds?!?

Then i left the door closed and the a strange fan sound started by itself
    That could just be the cooling fan. It could be triggered by a thermostat sensing an overheat condition or by the control board (depending on the microwave's actual design) for some reason.

the inside walls were hot.
    There is no heat source inside a microwave besides maybe the light bulb or heat from an item being heated/cooked. Was the light staying on?

Another slim possibility for a heat source is a failure of the magnetron tube or HV transformer but I wouldn't expect such a condition to affect the temperature of the oven cavity much, if at all.

I usually don't recommend homeowners try to repair microwave ovens them self. I suggest you call a factory service agent to look into it for you.

LINK > Who To Call For Home Service?

JMO

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~
    Last edited by Dan O.; 03-04-2013, 12:58 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

ge dual wave 2 microwave system

i am having the same issues as helpneeded. the handle broke off the door 5 days ago, today i went to microwave some dinner and as soon as i closed the door a noise started. i opened door noise stopped, i closed door noise started again, i asked a relative to check it out, with my meal still in microwave, the door was opened and closed 3 or 4 times and did same thing, figured leave it open no problem, i decided to not warm my dinner but upon pulling it out of the microwave found a spot on the plate that scalded my hand, some of the food was hot some cold, but inside of microwave was hot, the lightbulb in our microwave is dead so it cant be that, considering the microwave was not turned on there must be some reason it starts microwaving without being turned on, we have decided to replace microwave but from the info im getting it looks like you have to replace entire unit not just microwave

Comment

considering the microwave was not turned on there must be some reason it starts microwaving without being turned on
        Maybe a problem with the control? I don't recall ever hearing of such a case though. I have heard of the cooling fan operating as soon as the door is closed but not actually cooking.

Uneven heating could be caused by a problem with the stirrer fan in the ceiling of the unit or the tray turntable not operating, depending on how whatever model you have was designed.

JMO

Dan O.
        Appliance411.com

Comment

dual wave 2

there is no turntable in the microwave, it is 20 years old and before there were turntables

Comment

mike e

my GE Dual Wave 2 microwave system ( microwave quit heating a couple days ago ) everything else seems fine ! model #JKP2GOK2 ( approx: 26 yr. old ) where should i start ??

Comment

microwave

check inside for fuses in the magnetron supply. check the power supply.

Comment

Model number incorrect

model #JKP2GOK2
                That model number appears to be incorrect please double check it.

microwave quit heating a couple days ago. everything else seems fine! where should i start ??
                Click image for larger version

Name:	icon4.png
Views:	1
Size:	752 Bytes
ID:	87164 I don't usually recommend consumers attempt to repair microwave ovens. Their capacitor can hold a charge even when unplugged which can present a safety hazard. It is also very dangerous to work on a 'live' appliance which might be required for testing in this case.

A technician might start by confirming 120 volts was getting to the inputs of the high voltage transformer when the unit should be cooking. If NO power there, it might point to a problem in the unit's control system. If power WAS there further testing would be required. A problem in that transformer, the magnetron tube or possibly a thermal cut out (if present on whatever model it is) might be the cause.

check inside for fuses in the magnetron supply.
                A microwave's internal "fuse" would usually stop the whole microwave from operating, not just the heating. There might be a cutout on the magnetron tube or elsewhere in the machine that could stop power from getting to the magnetron tube.

JMO

Dan O.
                Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                X
                =